Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mahle 6.2 Rebuidl kit

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TK5, Nov 6, 2004.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever use the Mahle 6.2 rebuild kit. I see one Ebay.

6.2 Mahle Rebuild kit

TIA,

Phillip TK5

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone ever use the Mahle 6.2 rebuild kit. I see one Ebay.

6.2 Mahle Rebuild kit

TIA,

Phillip TK5

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't used it yet but I know Mahle is a respectable brand for parts.
    I might end up using this kit though since I need an engine and i have 2 rebuildable engines and so far the good engines I found that have good compression were $1k.
    If I add machining to this price I will be right at that mark with a new rebuilt engine not a used no guarantee engine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have not begun to reassemble my '83 6.2 yet....so can't say how good the parts I bought are.

Here is my DIY approach:
    I bought Federal-Mogul pistons (.030 over) from local independent auto parts store. There is a place in Rochester NY which will coat the skirts and top of new pistons to reduce friction and improve high temp durability. Check the stampings on the pan
    rail to see what size pistons your particular block uses if you don't bore it out. If you order a complete rebuild kit I assume all the pistons would be the same size. Not good if you need one special piston.

The machine shop bought and installed the cam bearings and rod small end bushings.

NAPA has std bearings. Dealer has the special bearings incase your build needs them. There are nonstd size bearings sold as singles. Pan rail should be stamped if these are used.

I bought Total-Seal rings, I was told this helps with turbo performance and improves cold starting.

The valve stem seals in Viton rubber, made in Germany, are available at AutoZone. Head gaskets can also be ordered.

A balanced rotating assy is a really good idea.

4. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I was just considering to buying the kit. I do know that if I buy all the individual parts from local retailers. Just the gasket kit, rod bearings, and main bearings will cost me over $400 at the local parts stores..

The engine that I have has already had the machine work doen to it. Heads rebuilt and block cleaned with new cam bearings. When the did the cylinders they did not hone the cylinders for chrome rings. so the rings did not seat l;ike they were supposed to. the guy the engine for about 2 weeks and it smoked so it pulled the engine and replaced with crate 6.2. I have checked the cylinders with a inside caliper and everything is ok in the cylinder and within the specs for standard rings. I going to hone the cylinders for Chrome rings this time.

I really doing anything radical just trying to get the K_5 blazer back on the road.

Phillip TK5
    Fairview, TN

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just considering to buying the kit. I do know that if I buy all the individual parts from local retailers. Just the gasket kit, rod bearings, and main bearings will cost me over $400 at the local parts stores..

Phillip TK5
    Fairview, TN

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you find a new parts store. The local nappa here has rod bearings for $7.00 and Mains for $10 IIRC. I priced both, but only bought Rods, so i know for a fact those were $7.00. I bought my full gasket kit off of a member for $20, brand new and unopened.

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Mahle 6.2 Rebuild kit

My personal opinion about the kit is that I don't think you can purchase all the parts separately for the price that is offered in the kit from ebay.

New Mahle Pistons with Pins and Clips (STD, .020, .030, .040)
    New Mahle Moly Rings (STD, .020, .030, .040)
    New Mahle Rod Bearings
    New Mahle Main Bearings
    New Mahle Cam Bearings
    New Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain
    New Brass Freeze Plugs
    New Cam Plug
    Complete Victor Reinz gasket set which includes
    valve stem seals
    front and rear seals
    New Melling Oil Pump
    All for Only
    $605 plus shipping

Even shopping around at the different parts houses even Napa didn't even come close to the price. Eventually you will need all the parts listed whether you buy them separate or in a kit.

I have received emails from several that the Mahle kit is just as good the other kits just 400-500 dollars cheaper.

My vehicle is just for every day use and a daily driver.
    I guess the question is that do you want to buy a piece or two at a time or buy it all at once and spend a lot of money which you are going to do anyway in rebuilding a 6.2

Thanks again to all,

Phillip Tk5

7. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I just spent the last 2 hours on the phone with different parts houses and found out that Autozone has a kit for the 6.2 for $700 plus $70 tax. The others including NAPA where over a $1000 plus tax for the Kit.

Just for your information if interested.

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Whoops, i read it as if you were buying the kit just for the bearings and gaskets. My bad.

9. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

No big deaal!! I guess I should have said it was a complete rebuild. The 6.2 in my blazer has 245,000 and still has a lot of power, but it has a rod knocking. My big mistake when I busted a piston skirt about a year ago, I didn't replace the head bolts with new ones. So I also have a blown head gasket. I had a 6.2 given to me, minus pump and injectors. so i am checking everything out before I start the rebuild

10. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

New head bolts...ARP has them and they are TTY (torque to yield) Torque to spec then add 1/4 turn. (IIRC)

Hone for chrome rings? I didn't know about different honing methods. Coarseness of the stones or something? Be sure to check for cyl taper due to wear.

11. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I just picked up the ARP head bolts oday. Yes, it is the coarseness of the stone. You should hone, not just break the glaze. My cylinders looked like someone honed them with a pocket knife. After several minutes on each cylinder with a fine stone they looked and felt perfect. That is the first thing all the machine shops here ask, "What type of rings are you using?" Some may disagree.

Phillip TK5

12. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

we does one turn up the arp head bolts or studs for these engines? What kind of price do they run? Do they have a rod bolt kit or main stud kit for these engines also? I have a 94 model 6.5 that I'm fixing to build. thanks