Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mail Order only?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Thumper, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Are you guys strictly mail order or do you retail your products thru 4x4 shops or other retailers? If so what chains?
    Id love to pick up some items, but the shipping and duty etc. to Canada would kill me!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might try Northshore Offroad, they occasionally order stuff from us. That's about it. We do sell to shops, but there's not more than a handfull across the country that actually stock our parts. I'm not sure of the costs associated with sending stuff to Canada, all we ever see is the shipping cost, and it's not that bad, but from what I hear it's the import duties and taxes that are bad. Sorry I'm not more help. How close to the border are you? got US friends?

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Alberta is a pretty long drive to BC. I live about 30 mins from North Shore Off Road. You can check out their site at http://nsor.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shipping parts to Canada is doable. The important part is to ship to a postal box or shipping company just South of the 49th and go pick it up. There is no duty on automotive parts made in the US. If you get the shipping company to ship it across 'the line' you end up paying all the brokerage fees. This is what makes it expensive. If you go and pick it up and declare it coming back all you pay is the applicable sales tax on the value of goods purchased.
    Mike, why don't you have your parts shipped to where you will be 'visiting'?

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Mike

I'll take crack at this one. In terms of duty and taxes; I had a driveshaft come to me here in St. John's, Newfoundland a couple of years ago and the shipping from Ogden, Utah to here was only $34 US and was included in the price by Tom Woods. The duty was only a few dollars; the biggest cost was the 7%GST. That's all you'd pay in Alberta, I had to pay 15% because we don't have the GST, we now have the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) which is a combo of the 7% Federal GST and 8% Newfoundland Sales tax!! [​IMG][​IMG]

I spoke to Canada Customs back a year or so ago and they told me that the duty on most auto parts is down around 1.5% or less with alot of items having no duty thanks to the Free Trade Agreement!

In fact, most of the parts for my rebuild will be coming from the USA (places like OffRoad Design). Even with the exchange and the taxes, it still works out as cheap or cheaper than buying it here in Canada.

One last option is to talk to Russ Bucknell at 4 Wheel Parts Performance in Edmonton. I spent a morning in his shop with him a couple of summers ago and he told me he can get anything in for me that I wanted; even if it wasn't a brand he carried.
    Also, try a shop in Calgary ( I can't remember the name right now) but the service there was excellent as well.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, now theres some good info! I know Russ pretty good, I belong to the CMRO mud racing org. as well. I will give him a call. I have been trying to get in touch with a club in New Orleans but have had no luck yet otherwise I would have something shipped there, then I can just bring it back with me on the Herc. I am not out of options yet, but out of curiosity Stephen how long would it take to get stuff to N.O.?

Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Mike

Just found the business card in my wallet. The shop in Calgary I was at is Modern Motors. It's at 5539 Blackfoot Trail S.E. and the guy I was talking to for a couple of hours was Erik Hansen (1-800-561-1494). He took the time to come out from behind the counter and talk Blazers with me for well over 2 hours!! He also owns a Blazer and I've seen it on the Calgary Boggin Freaks website. He was a big help and can probably be of help to you.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

whats the url for the Calgary Boggin Freaks site?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

9. Brian 89KBlazer

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure of the time across the border, but getting stuff to this side of the border is about 3 shipping days. I'm not sure how long their broker takes

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD