Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Main pully problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Nov 8, 2003.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

The main pulley on my TBI 305 seems to wobble. I also hear a bearing going bad. I havnt used a listening device to pin point the bad bearing but its close to the main pulley. Is this just a matter of replacing the pulley or is it more serious? Could somthing be wrong with the crank. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Im not familiar with bottom ends. *yet* Has anyone had to fix this before?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I had a harmonic balancer go bad on me. It would wobble like you said but it wasn't the pulley. The harmonic balancer or damper has a weight on the outside that isn't really attached to the rest of the balancer and it slipped and became out of balance. This may be what your seeing. Just a thought. You can take all the accessories off the motor and still start it but it will be a big pain. Least that way you could see just what the pulleys and balancer are doing. Good luck.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

sounds like the harmonic balancer.

I had a Riveria that had one go bad on it....the longer you run it the worse it will get

not too bad to change though

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have been seeing alot of dampners wobbling lately on various 305 and 350 engines, a rash of them around here, friend;s trucks and such, the outer ring is attached to hub of dampner by rubber and the rubber is old and heat kills it and it starts letting go, causes ring to spin on hub and also get crooked, the pulley is bolted to hub however and not to the outer ring, so if pulley is wobbly, then check closely to see if outer ring of dampner is really wobbling too, or not.
    could jsut be bent pulley.
    if ring of dampner is wobbling then id be replacing it soon.
    two of the engines around here that had this happening ended up blowing bottom end not too long after wobbling was noticed. one is still runnign good, its an 83 c20 350 engine.
    ones that blew up were a 77-79 car 305 engine and a 77-79 van 305 engine.

5. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Im going to make a closer inspection this afternoon. May remove if I have time. Radiator has a leak too... Things are not going my way! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Need help. Does the balancer ring come of the center section? Is that what is replaced? or does the whole thing come off the end of the crank??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

You have to use a harmonic balace puller to remove it from the crank. And no, the outer part of the balacer not supposed to seperate from the inner part.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you are doing it in the truck, be prepared for a nightmare cause the engine is likely to keep turning over as you tighten the bolt on the harmonic balacer, may need to wedge a crowbar in the flexplate/flywheel to keep it from spinning.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Take the inspection cover off the trans bell housing and use a tie down ratchet strap and stick it in a hole of the flex plate and hook to frame. Now engine won't turn... quick tip.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

never thought of that one.