Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

main seal...need help/suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speedyvision917, Jan 31, 2005.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

ok my freind just got a 78 3/4 p/u all wheel drive, he took it wheeling and hit some ice and now his main seal is broken and he needs to replace it? what do you need to do to replace it? is it an easy job or something that should get done by a professional? any tips suggestions will be helpful

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how hitting ice would cause a rear main to start leaking, but if it is the rear main leaking, it's not that hard to replace if you, or your frind, are good with tools.

If it's a '78 350 block, it'll be a 2 piece rear main seal. Just drop the oil pan and you can replace it. The new seal should come with instructions, or pick up a manual from the autoparts store and it will have instructions.

Thomas.

3. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

ok my freinds a dumbass, i guess it was tranny fluid that was leaking, it was caused by tryin to drive over ice and sinking. he thinks it might be a seal on the tranny somewhere....any ideas where else it might be leaking?

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Yes, there are seals in the tranni that could leak. Climb under there and figure out which seal is leaking.

Do you know if the tranni was submerged in water? If so, water could have filled up the tranni through the vent tube on top :crazy:

Thomas.