Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maine lift laws

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by Backroads, May 1, 2007.

1. Backroads

Backroads 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into moving to Maine and just trying to get an idea of the lift laws and any other motor vehicle laws I should know about.

Anyone know the laws regarding height and gvw?

Can you get an inspection sticker at a private garage, or do you have to go to a state facility?

Do they fail vehicles for rot holes or rust?

Do the police target guys with lifted trucks?

How much $ are the fines for lift violations?

2. Backroads

Backroads 1/2 ton status

this link answered a couple of my own questions:
    http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Ach17sec0.html

are these measured from the top of the frame or the bottom? the frame itself is about 4 inches. I couldnt find anything about tire size.

...A motor vehicle may not be operated on a public way or receive a certificate of inspection with a maximum frame end height based on the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating that is greater than:

B. For a vehicle of 4,500 pounds and less, 24 inches in the front and 26 inches in the rear;

C. For a vehicle of 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds, 27 inches in the front and 29 inches in the rear; and

D. For a vehicle of 7,501 pounds to 10,000 pounds, 28 inches in the front and 30 inches in the rear.

I also found this: An operator, when traveling on a downgrade, may not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral.

3. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

they will fail you if you got a truck with severe rust. so long as your truck doesn't have jagged metal / fist size holes you'll be good.