Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maintance on CV-Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Executioner, Jul 14, 2000.

1. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Most CV-Joints have a centering ball and needle bearing. Most Dana(Spicer) cv style have an unusual zerk fitting
    to put grease into the centering ball assembly. My ? is is there a special tool, or attachment for the grease gun
    to inject grease into the zerk fitting, with the driveline installed on the vehicle ?
    Thanks alot

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, there is a needle attachment you can buy at PepGirls. It will screw onto the tip of the grease gun after you unscrew the traditional style fitting. Grease, grease, and more grease is all you need to maintain them CV Joint style driveshafts.

3. Executioner

hAVE YOU DONE IT ON THE VEHICLE ?
    WHICH NEEDLE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?
    THE ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE A HORSE SURIGN, OR IS THERE ANOTHER ONE.

4. Waxer

Yes I've done it on the vehicle. No it doesnt look like a suringe. It has a cone type tip with a hole in the center, which you use to push in the ball bearing on the grease fitting and inject grease. Its the one that screws onto the grease gun. There's a syringe type that has a zirk fitting on the opposite end that doesnt work. It kept bending on me and was a real pain. So get the HD looking one that screws onto the end of the grease gun.
    oh yah..please....STOP YELLING AT ME!!!

5. Executioner

Thank you, sorry about the yelling.
    Whats the trick to getting the needle to stay in position ?

6. Waxer

well if you get the one I mentioned. Just some pressure will keep it centered as its cone shaped and the grease fitting is shaped like the inside of a cone, so they will center eachother, then just pump the grease in. thats all.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

there is also a special grease for CV joints....does anyone remember what it is? Also, if anyone is interested, the 4-bolt flange style is Saginaw and the one with the u-bolts is Spicer. The Saginaw has slightly larger journals and is rebuildable contrary to rumor. Spicer ('69 to '78 Blz/Jimmy) is rebuildable too, see June 1990 "Off Road", p.65. There is a Hybrid made by Naapco which looks like a Spicer but has a 4 bolt flange. I am plannig to use the Naapco as a rear drive shaft so I checked into this stuff.

SteveB

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On that needle style, Lincon makes one with a standered zerk inside a sleeve on the gun end. All you do is plug it in and away you go. It is a great time saver and neeter,too. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

9. Executioner

Please clearify, the Spicer style the one that uses the 1310 series u-joints and does not have a flange.........
    are you saying this style is attached to the t-case end with u-bolts ?
    TIA

10. Steve_87K5

Saginaw, has flange w/4-bolts. spicer, uses U bolts. Not sure if journal size on Spicer is 1310 seies or not. Attached is a photo of a thing I hacked together to use a Blazer front driveshaft on the rear of my Blazer.

SteveB

11. Executioner

Are you sure, or are you guessing ? Have you a picture of a spicer style with the u-bolts ?
    Something sounds fishy to me !

12. Steve_87K5

AFAIK there are no CV assemblies using Ubolts. Brain was disengaged when I typed that. I have seen some CV assemblies that I didn't know about before.... These are made by Naapco. Spicer also has available (what I call a hybrid) CV assembly that has the saginaw style flange and uses their CV head. I saw it at a driveshaft shop but not in the J300D.

SteveB

13. Executioner

Thank you, now that was not so hard was it.
    This is a perfect exsample of a FACT, and I aprciate it.
    If we can agree on the FACTS, then there will not be any misconfusion.
    Again thanks for letting me know that we both do not know of any spicer style c-v joints that use u-bolts to
    attach to the t-case.

14. Steve_87K5

You're welcome! How I became so horribly confused and typed a "U" in front of "bolt" I'll never know. Anyway, here is the photo I must have been dreaming about (anyone every really dream about nuts and bolts??) Click the attachment, ( I don't know how to post a photo inline yet.) Spicer Corporation , Drivetrain Service Division, gets credit for the photo ( publication J321CV).

SteveB

15. Executioner

cool I used to have a Spicer url, not the dana one, can you post the spicer url please ?
    TIA

16. Steve_87K5

I don't know a URL for Spicer/Dana but it would be so cool if the J300D catalog were online. The photo I attached above is from the J300D master Spicer catalog ... I got one at the drivetrain shop where they balanced my Dshaft. These places are usually very stingy with this catalog, and I really had to sweet talk them to give me one. It is very difficult sometimes to explain to driveshaft shops what you want done, and exactly the pieces you want to hack together to make some weird (to them) driveline setup.

SteveB