Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major accomplishment - Plumbing pics...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 27, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Peaked some major progress tonight /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm letting the tub sit half full overnight while the mortar bed cures. I'm totally stoked, no leaks anywhere, supply or drainage. Although, I'm a little troubled by how the water in the drain seems to back up to the toilet flange branch when it hits the main stack... Hi Pinion, Storm Trooper, your thoughts? I'm thinking it might be a little too level there...

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man, clean that up a bit and that bare copper would be strangely aesthticly pleasing

Cograts on the work, pride in a job well done is an integral part of the emaning of life

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Gross, man, I'm sitting here looking at my plumbing pics with my hand over my mouth, and I remember I forgot to wash my hands after messing around with the toilet flange... Good thing it's all brand new and never been used... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks. I dunno if my wife'll let me go with the bare copper though...

I'm sitting here contemplating jumping in the shower, and it occurs to me, I could run an extension cord up and sit in the jets for a couple minutes... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I remeber a rather surreal experience in an artistic way of living soley in my living room with one thousand extension cords fromt he few outlets that worked powering two tvs a nintendo 64 and the heater. Like buying a large toolbox and using one drawer for everything.

I'd like to make a custom tub somedya out of tile or fiberglass ro whatever it take, just a really deep really large tub.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

God job, I remember my bath remodel....never again /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I'd like to make a custom tub somedya out of tile or fiberglass ro whatever it take, just a really deep really large tub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I don't fit in a normal tub, I doubt you have a chance.

The bare copper look is interesting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just noticed, is that standard drywall backwards? or is it aqua board like it should be? I don't know plumbing but I was raised by a carpenter.

upon checking that site it probably is aqua board, the stuff I'm used to is a gay aqua color.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ya I saw that too... Doesn't matter if it's backwards though. It's the same front or back as long as it is getting covered with something else like Wonder Board.

Great job on the plumbing Ratch! It's Perty!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tanks for the compliments... That copper plumbing took about 4 hours to figure out and actually get together...

The board on the wall is for tile backer, U.S.Gypsum Cement Board, it's the only sheet like that I used except for the shower shelf. The rest of them and the one going up over that plumbing today are wonderboard.

I found a leak in the drainage... When I screwed down the subfloor plywood, I forgot where the pipe was and sent a screw into it. I thought I repaired it, but there was apparently one hole that went through that I thought was only surface. I gots to patch that, let it cure, then drain the tub...

Pics of my incredibly ridiculous shower shelf coming soon too! I'm hoping I can get the shower ready for tile by tonight, so I can tile it after work at night next week. Maybe I'll have this bathroom done before I hit the 1 year mark of ripping out the floor...

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Not bad /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifmake sure to run another beam across and strap the body of the shower valve ,so it dosent wobble. And make sure to cram something in between the h & c so they dont touch eahcother.Anywhere. As far as the drain goes it looks good, but dont be afraid to really tighten it good and check it 3 times, when you tighten , use this [​IMG] its a spud wrench. It looks good enough to run with to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ........oh, i hope you diddnt solder the shower vavle with the plastic internals inside,because they will melt sometimes when heat is added. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

{quote}Although, I'm a little troubled by how the water in the drain seems to back up to the toilet flange branch when it hits the main stack... Hi Pinion, Storm Trooper{quote)..........it backs up? Its not supposed to back up. Check for proper venting,and ckeck for stoppages. Its not supposed to back up, its supposed to go DOWN.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

do mine next /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

For a small fee... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I filled everything up and found 2 leaks. One is under the drain, I just have to putty or tighten it, I guess I'll pick up a spud wrench tomorrow...the other was where I put a screw through the pvc under the floor, but thought I patched...that one's all good now.

It's weird how it drains. Check out where the 1 1/2" pipe joins the 3" near the supply riser:
    [​IMG]

When I drained the tub, I was looking down the closet bend and saw water at the bottom splashing away from the main stack. I dunno if that means the stack was backed up, or the whole section of 3" pipe is level or not pitched enough.

I'm taking out the floor panel over there soon anyway to futz with the steam pipe, so I'll check it again with my little level...

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was just looking at picture #3 and was wondering why You reduced the pipe down after the trap. That could lead to drainage problems. Also in the future You should use gypsum mud under the tub instead of morter. It wont crumble like the morter does and is stronger and denser. I used to install tubs for a living, probably installed at least 3000 of them.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I almost forgot. Does the tub have a removable skirt? Or do You have an access panel to the motor on the tub? Those things go bad all the time and You need to be able to get to the motor and pump for repairs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just looking at picture #3 and was wondering why You reduced the pipe down after the trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original pipe was 1 1/4, notched into the joists. I tried fitting 1.5" pvc into the original notching, but it wasn't quite making it, and I didn't want to notch the joists any deeper that they already was since I was removing alot of the surrounding cement. I figured since the original was 1.25", it would be fine to stay with that. I bumped the lav drain up to 1.5", though. I changed the routing a little, too. The original lav and tub drains were notched across a couple joists, then fed into the toilet flange. Since I replaced everything to the soil stack, I moved the lav and shower drain to enter the closet branch closer to the stack instead of right at the flange.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also in the future You should use gypsum mud under the tub instead of morter. It wont crumble like the morter does and is stronger and denser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well dangit, now that I know that I will when it's time for the downstairs... All the books and research said to use and the original setting were mortar. Some said thin-set, some said high-strength building mortar. I used both, high-strength over original 1920's, then a layer of thin-set put down before actually sliding the tub in place. The tub also sits on two 3/4" boards across the joists.

I filled it to the overflow and let it sit for a while, and so far, no (new) cracks in the ceiling below or cracks in the surrounding mortar. It looks like this thing doesn't move at all between full and empty.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Now You did make sure that the tub was level, both side to side and front to back, right? You used a support ledger on the back, correct? Oh yeah and You only used galvanized screws and or nails to secure the tub down so that You dont get those nasty rust stains in Your tile and grout or have rust stains running down Your tub, right?

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now You did make sure that the tub was level, both side to side and front to back, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
    You used a support ledger on the back, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Err, I dunno... I put down a 2x4 rail along the 60 inch wall and one at the opposite end of the faucet wall to act as cleats. I'm going to add one to the faucet wall once the mortar is all set.

Also, about your other question, there will be access to the pump from behind, and I'm building a wall with a finished removable access panel for the jets where the skirt would be.

[ QUOTE ]
    You only used galvanized screws and or nails to secure the tub down so that You dont get those nasty rust stains in Your tile and grout or have rust stains running down Your tub, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't use any screws or nails directly on the tub body...Should I have? There are no fabbed holes, it's a drop-in or normal replacement tub.
    But the screws in the cement board were all ummm, coated to be rust-free/resistant. Basically made for wet locations.