Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAJOR body work..I got pics! HOw do I fiX?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by brandoneh, Mar 15, 2003.

1. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

I got some major rocker problems going on, and i think it tweaked most of the body in the front driver area. Running into a saturn going sideways didn't do a lot of good to my truck! I was thinkin bout going to a junkyard and yanking the whole rockerpanel's and box and weld it in. Something like that, i'm sure they're are better ways to go about it, so please feel free to let me know. I'd appreciate that! Some mexican quoted me 1050 for labor if i supplied the parts. is that reasonable? hmmm...take a look at the pics, check out the damage.
    [​IMG]

Here's the gallery of me "drivin around" (not wheelin) in some mud

-Brandon 71 K5 with 38's!!!

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

If I had the place and was going to make a semi serious offroad rig I"d get some box tube and the rockers from a salvage yard. fit the rocker skin in kinda where it goes, line the body up and gut the rockers, and weld in the box tube for support and the skin so it looks stock. Haven't really done a lot of gawking over this but I like the thought.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i would cut the messed up parts off and buy new pieces then weld them in... http://truckandcarshop.com/
    this place has pic of all there parts, so get the cost...then you need to add some sliders on that first gen...I'm building some for my 72 and hope to avoid what you just did. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Could you just replace the rockers with some sliders?

Jon

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

It looks like he went way past that point, things need to be moved back to where they started... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brandon,

The thing to remeber about the 1st Gen Blazers that's unique is that the rocker box area is STRUCTURAL, not cosmetic like in some other vehicles.

You can check out some amazing "cutaways" in the "Cancer Support Group" thread to see what's acutally inside that area......

Basically, the outer rocker (the part you can see below the door) IS a cosmetic piece....BUT the "inner rocker box" which is the large square section underneath the truck, is the only thing keeping your truck from folding in half....(Other than your rollcage!)

The main problem is that nobody makes a replacement part for the inner rocker...so you're going to have to fix what you have, or make a new one. Odds are good that your "cab support" (the one in the footwell areas) is probably bent, or rotted.....most of them are, so there's not much strength there either.

This is the downside of owning a 1st Gen. We all have to deal with this rather expensive and depressing aspect of the original design. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I never had a driver's side rocker box when I bought mine, the passenger side is almost in perfect shape. so, whet I am going to do will be to create what looks like a "ladder" out of 3X3 steel and weld it up in there. The only problem that someone had once pointed out to me about this is that th ereplacement may be "TOO STRONG" and cause more stress on other parts of my Blazer, any one elde foresee that problem?

8. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

brett,
    did you ever road-trip get those pictures of the replacement rocker box?

9. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

Greg...i'm a little confused on what to do here.!
    What i was thinking was getting a pickup box, cut out the driver side rocker box and weld her in the blazer. You bring up point that the cab support might not be enough support. So the idea of my weldin that in probably wouldn't be strong enough? I'm thinkin about changing my roll cage to something more like yours....its not going to connect to the front. Anywhooo just kind of speakin out of my ass right now tryin to figure things out before i take my blazer to the doctor.! I gotta fix it soon, summer is right around the corner! I'll buy some bumper brackets from you if you can make some!

-Brandon

10. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

WES at http://www.ClassicHeartbeat.com/ just announced on 67-72chevytrucks.com that he is making reproduction Rockerboxes. I don't know if the price is set yet but I'm sure he is going to have people standing in line to get them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Just checked the sight, his prices are very high...
    I need the door window regulators and he sells them for $49.95 each...
    http://truckandcarshop.com/
    this place sells them for $25.00 each...not to push them but the prices are very good on most parts...

12. Greg72

Brandon,

I think you have some of the terms confused.....

There are 3 main parts in that area:

1. Outer Rocker - The part you can see when you stand 5 feet away from your truck and look under the door area

2. Rocker BOX - The large square structural part you can only see by laying on the ground and looking straight up underneath the truck

3. Cab Support - The structural part that connects from the body mount bolt (below the brake pedal area on the floor) over to the outside of the rocker BOX, and to the fender support.

I don't think that the pickups even HAVE rocker BOXes...only the outer rocker (the cosmetic part) so I don't think you'll improve the strength of the area by grafting that in......not to say you couldn't do it AFTER the structural stuff is done!!

Doug (71RestoRod) did a good job of explaining the removal, repair and replacement of the parts in this area in the "Cancer" thread, so I won't do it here....basically if you want to do it right you will need to remove both the outer rocker, and the rocker BOX to get to the cab support to repair it....then everything gets put back. You MUST support the truck and keep it "square" while you cut these things out, or the truck will collapse inward, and you'll NEVER get your door gaps right again. (you ARE planning on putting doors back on? )

Don't feel bad....most of us have the same type of repair on our "to do" lists also.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Greg72

Oh yes.....

and be patient on those brackets!!! I'm still "developing" them for my own truck as we speak.... if things go well I should have the rear bumper completed today. I will probably post some pics so that you can see what I'm talking about.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

TonyP- Classicheartbeat's prices usually are higher than the truckshop. I have senn very few places that have lower prices then them. I'm not sure how they do it. I bought my mirrors through them because they were half the price of LMC & Chevyduty. The quality & fit was great. I have heard several people complain about the quality and service from the Truckshop so just be careful when you purchase parts from them. I have not ever purchased anything from Classicheartbeat but he is always very helpful on the other board. I also use PickupsNW.com a lot because they are just a few miles away from my house and I don't have to pay any shipping. Their prices aren't great but without the added shipping, it works out about the same or less for me.

15. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Greg is right, the trucks dont have the ROCKER BOXES.

My dad went up to Doug's to check out his 3X3 steel boxes bout a month ago, and Doug was there, his blazer was not. SO, I didn't end up with any pics of his boxes, and dad had no idea on what I needed him to ask him.. so, all in all, the trip was useless.. to me anyway. (I couldn't go) I do plan on just goin ahead with the "ladder" design with 3X3 steel. I do have all the equiment to do it easily, so I should have no problem. I plan on measuring, cutting, and fitting. I could make blue prints afterwards, and post them if anyone would like. I dont know when I will get around to this, but it is Definately going to be before summer. SO, plesae let me know if anyone would like to see what I come up with. I am now off to the cancer support group to see what Rod wrote... I haven't been there yet.

16. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

Good info.....this repair is going to be more difficult than i thought. I'm still really clueless on what to do but i'll do some more reading and get a better grasp on things. It sure was raining quite a bit this morning, its funny to see people's reaction when they see a big black truck with no door driving through the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Bouncy truck...i live in bothell maybe we can sit down have a beer and you can teach me some stuff!

-B 71 K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Greg, you forgot the "Inner Rocker" which is the more or less flat piece of sheetmetal that is sandwiched between the outer rocker and the floor pan...