Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major Computer Help Needed......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Prembird, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok here is what is going on.... I have 3 systems sitting here...

System 1
    CPU = AMD 1700+
    MOTHERBOARD = ECS K7S5A
    RAM =256 pc133
    OS = Win ME.
    POWER SUPPLY =300 W. (less then 6 months old)
    VIDEO CARD = TNT2 M64 16meg tv-out
    SOUND CARD = Onboard
    System 2
    CPU = AMD 1800+
    MOTHERBOARD = ECS K7S5A
    RAM =256 pc2100 ddr
    OS = Win ME.
    VIDEO CARD = Kyro II Prophet 4500 64meg 4x agp
    SOUND CARD = Onboard

System 3
    CPU = AMD 1700+
    MOTHERBOARD = ECS K7S5A
    RAM =256 pc133
    OS = Win ME.
    VIDEO CARD = Diamond Viper 4meg Agp
    SOUND CARD = Onboard

ok specs on mobo...
    5 pci slots
    1 agp slot
    1 amr slot
    onboard Lan and sound card (sis chipset)
    socket a (supports pretty much any and all amd processors out there includeing the xp processor)

As you can see they are pretty much the same machine...

Here is the problem im having...

I have 3 PCI modems here... I have taken all other card out of the systems above so there is only the agp and modem installed...

When i install the modem the computer will not boot... Hell it wont even go into bios.. It justs powers up, I.E. fans,cd-rom,hard drive get power but that is it...

I have checked every system and get the same results with each modem... I have disabled the AMR slot and the Lan slot but still have this problem.. Once the modems are removed they work just fine.. I know all 3 modems are good since i tested each in a 4th system... Is there something that im completly missing.. Also checked out every PCI slot to make sure it wasnt interfering with the agp slot...

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this...

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give...

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Have you tried moving the modems around to different slots? Could be an IRQ issue. I know that my sytem would not work right till I moved the modem to the slot furthest from the AGP. I've got an old ASUS with 6 slots. Ya might want to give that a shot. It worked for me. Also, maybe you need to flash the BIOS? Just talked with a buddy, showed him your post, and he thinks its some setting in the BIOS or maybe "the firmware on the mobo and the firmware on the modem dont like each other". Hope that maybe some of this helps. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Something sounds funny there.. But just taking a guess.. Did you remove the old modem from the system???? Before you tried installing this one..

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd flash the bios. Also, verify the power supply amperage and voltages are correct for each rail. The power supply may be brand new, but even a new power supply spec'd a hair under par will cause problems like you describe.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so what exaclty are you doing trying to use 3 different modems in the computers? im not sure what your are trying to do..im not a total expert on computers but i have biult 2 befor so..are you sure its in the slot all the way, and did you disable any on bourd modems you may have befor hand?..and you have tryed different pci slots..are you just trying to install the modems in the computers?

Bryan

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok i was trying the modems one at a time and not at the same time... but this is what i found out after talking to a couple of techs and spending about 5 hours looking threw tech manuals, forum, etc last night...

Ok here is what i found... I went to the place that i bought it and this is what they said..

"Its not just the ECS board that does this... Its almost all the newer Mobo's with amr slots..." It seems that alot of the software modems out there have amr chipsets on the modems even though they are PCI cards.. To correct this issue you have a couple of choices.. 1. Replace Mobo with one that doesnt have amr slot on it.. 2. Flash the Bios to a newer version (seems that almost all manufactures are aware of this problem and released an updated Bios to fix the problem)... 3. Buy a hardware modem (basically the chipsets on them are designed to be run under PCI and not AMR)...

I picked up a Hardware modem with an Intel chipset on it... Put it in and the computer fired right up.. Found the modem... and installed everything needed for it to work... The computer is totally up and running without any problems now what so ever...

So basically what was happening was the it was trying to allocate the same setup to both the amr and the pci modem thus confusing the bios and locking it up... Even though you shut down the amr in the bios it still have to reconize that its there even if it doesnt use it and will still lock the computer up..

I hope this info helps someone else out sometime in the future... I will be posting this info on alot of different tech boards because everything i read last night didnt refer to this issue at all...

Thanks all for your help...

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Seems like a good reason to use an external modem.
    I've had nothing but trouble with internal modems. I really like my US Robotics external modem and I've used it for everla years, flashing the eeprom to keep it current.
    I'm keeping it nwo even though I have a cable modem...just in case.
    -- Mike