Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major Drivetrain Problem Need Help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fitz689, May 23, 2006.

1. Fitz689

Fitz689 Registered Member

Alright I recently rebuilt my rear axle, New ring and pinioin, all bearings, seals, and put it back together. Besides having some problems with me shimming and pattern I got it to what i believed to be close and then sealed it up. I went to go drive it on the road and once I hit about 35 mph I started having some vibration, so i pulled over and went to turn around to go back to my house, it then felt like it wasn't gettig power and every little the engine would rev up like something was slipping. Is it possible that my ring and pinion aren't meshing constantly? or does it sound like my transmission might be slipping? When I got home I couldn't get it to go reverse easily either. I'm dumbfounded by this and before I start tearing things apart want to know if you guys have some insight. It's a 1983 6.2l Diesel with stock 8.5 10 bolts and a 700r4 tranny

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think you already know the answer to this one....

If the ONLY change you've made to the truck was the installation of new gears, etc and you now have a problem you didn't have before.....odds are almost 100% that the work you just did isn't right.

Did you pull the axle out of the truck completely, or rebuild it in place?? If the axle was out, maybe you've got other issues like loose U-bolts to check??

I'd see if you can find someone here that lives close by. Maybe they can come over and take a quick look and doublecheck your work?

:usaflag:

3. Fitz689

The problem with this whole situation is that I fried the rear end in the first place. I bought it from someone and stupid be didn't check the rear end fluid when I changed the oil, the gasket disformed and I lost my fluid driving about 65 on the freeway. So i fried it and I don't know if possibly the transmission took some damage, or if it even would, Supposedly the tranny is only 3 years old with low miles on it. I did not have the axle out so everything else is good. I think my next move is to tear the rear end apart once again and see what's going on and to check my pattern again.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What gear ratio are you putting in it???

It seems like finding a good "used" 10-Bolt should be a piece of cake (and CHEAP!).... the tough part is not knowing 100% if there is other latent damage in your driveline from the original incident.

5. Fitz689

I have 3.73, but your right I would really like a different axle with a traction device that I could just hook straight up without worrying about my own gear work. I get looking around and see if I can find one.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a 10 bolt lock up on me doing 60 down the freeway. Replaced it with another one I had laying around went to test drive the truck. When I put it in gear I got nothing. Turned out the lock up of the old rear end was violent enough to sheer the internals of the torque converter. This was on a 1/2 ton burb with a 700R4

7. Fitz689

Alright, with a wheel off the ground I can turn it and my rear end sounds fine and the driveshaft rotates freely with only a slight sound when I rotate the wheel forward. With the engine, when I shift into reverse or drive there is nothing, no shift just the click from the gear selector. From what it sound like what you said jimmy is that I probably have done the same thing. Since I know very little about upgrades for my transmission should I be looking for any specific type of torque converter?

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that doesn't sound like a TC issue to me. if you are certain that you want to keep the 700r4, you could potentially get a new TC and try that - but make sure you really flush the dirty fluid out of the tranny so you don't get it into your new TC. probably not the best idea, but might save you some cash. then you'd know if it were the TC or the tranny for 50 bux. you'll have to replace your TC anyway - as you can't really clean it out and you don't want any broken crap in there. just a possibility. someone else will probably give a better diagnosis.

9. Fitz689

I'm not certain I want to keep the 700r4 I just haven't looked into what would be better for me to run. Another question I have, is if it is indeed the TC, then would that cause it to have bad vibrations the little while I was able to drive it?

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i really doubt it.

11. Fitz689

haha, well maybe my TC is bad, and my rebuild is screwed up. OH joy

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A fragged TC could definitely cause a vibration if something was thrown out of balance. It would be more dependent on engine speed than vehicle speed, though.

If it's strictly vehicle speed, I'd look to u-joints or a twisted driveshaft.

13. Fitz689

Well I'm fairly certain that vehicle speed was causing the vibrations, and even now if it revs up it won't vibrate(when not moving)

14. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

700r4,s lockup the TC when in overdrive (no slip= less heat) if the rear locked up at 65, your TC was probably locked up, so it's a good possibility you have residual damage ie: TC or tranny, drive line. I'd have someone check your rearend work, u-joints and drive shaft, if it's ok, start planning on a TC, tranny replacement.

15. Fitz689

Well I know there is something wrong with the TC/Tranny because it won't go into gear.