Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

major fender hack-jobs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pregate, May 21, 2002.

1. pregate

pregate Registered Member

ok, i need to do a major hack job on my fenders, and im lookin for some info, as it looks ill have to get a body shop to do it, but id like some info on what exactly is done.

if you want to look, im gonna be doing somethin comparable to the cover story on the august 01 issue of petersons..

the question really is, how much work does one do with the wheel well on this sort of thing? his looks like he removed the rear portion in the front well.. and in the rear, i cant really tell..

is it feasible just to take it out? or is that all around a bad idea

and as for reattaching it, weld? bolt?

basically, help! im not sure what im getting into, and id like to know before i drop a few hundred at a shop

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

ZAKK!!!!!!

Zakk has some good pictures and a funny story to go with it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I don't have a link to the site but hopefully he will see this. Steve also has some pictures up of the UAV getting cut on the main site.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: ZAKK!!!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/fendercut>coloradok5.com/fendercut</a>
    this link is to Steves article. you can click on my sid it has some pics of my truck but really i just did the same thing Steve did.

4. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 4" lift with 38's and cut more than you did, hahah. I sliced all the way back to the corner of the door. I took my inner fender wells out to do it, bending them to be reinstalled.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I also bent my front fenders to follow the firewall and I cut quite bit out of mine. I would leave the fenderwells in. I also run 38.5 with about 6-9 lift

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

No rubbing, man not bashing on you, but are your springs stiff. I have what looks to me to be more cut than that and one 4" lift with 36" swampers and can bong the inner rear fenders, and still hit the front floor boards when the wheels are turned and flexed. Did you move your front axle forward? I am looking at tubbing the rear inner fender wells some and doing som seriuos front floor pan mods.

Depdog

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah got to be some VERY stiff springs I agree. I was scrubbing 32's with 4 inches of STIFF rancho spring on full compress on factory rally's. They screbbed between the bolts where the inner fender bolts to the ribs on the floor.
    I put a set of ORD's Zero rates and moved the axle forward a inch and put a 1 inch body lift on when I got the 35's So far no scrub with the sway on. Need to pull the sway and check it still.

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com/photo5.html>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com/photo5.html</a>

Here are my Hacked front fender pics.. i cut off more than most do..
    I only have to trim off very little of the inner fender wells after flexing it this past weekend.. so almost there..

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

12. Depdog

Well, when I did mine, I had to add sheet metal in the rear fenders in several spots to fill the gaps, same on the front, I have also cut out some of the bottom of the inner fender towards the rear and the lip that the floor boards make where they come together. I can still when I flex it hard. I have not seen any fenders hacked farther that still had inner fenders on them.

Depdog

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The more flex, the more hackage....! My inner fenders are history, the outer fenders are almost history, and I still rub my smallish 35's (that actually measure &lt;34") on full compression w/ 4" of lift.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockmodified.com/fsr/lowerterm_4-13-02/640/fsr_lowerterm0129.jpg>http://www.rockmodified.com/fsr/lowerterm_4-13-02/640/fsr_lowerterm0129.jpg</a>

Marv

15. Depdog

I'll second that Marv marve...

Mudhog, with my springs on your truck and nothing else changed (mine are 4" off lift by the way) If I took it to tellico, or a couple of other choice spots I know of, it would either tear the front fenders off and severly distort the rear ones, or tear hell out of your tires.

Depdog

16. pregate

pregate Registered Member

thanks alot.. im goin for the 4" w/38.5s so some of these have been plenty of help.

now i just gotta find someone who knows what theyre doing.. or.. pay for it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

17. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 4" and 36" TSLs and a pretty conservative cut job, my springs are stiff and i have a sway bar too so my front don't flex well. i'm getting a 3" body ift soon though, and maybe some zero rates up front.

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the thing about mine is that i run a 16x6.5in rim and have a positive offset to where as most of you all run a negitive offset /forums/images/icons/smile.gif my tires stay inside the fenders and the negative offset puts them out past the fenders if i ran a negitive offset i would tear the sh@t out of my fenders and tires /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

my pics are in my sig . i run smallish 35s like marv but i dont have very much upward flex cuz of my uhhem overload spring in the front muhauahaha oh and i have 1.5" wheel spacers .. and i dont know how much it is lifted cuz i put the packs together myself ....

20. Depdog

Mudhog, on the front it might help a hair, but on the rear the positive offset would kill my inners, the negative is what keeps them off as far as it goes now. Its weird to be wheeling and flex it up and hear BOOONNNGGG. It sounds like a gas can left in the sun to long. I get lots of strange looks for folks watching.

I have 4" of lift and dont want to go bigger, I will cut and hack and re weld to fit the 38's or 40's. I know it can be done.

Depdog