Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

major help needed

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MTChevy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hello audio guru's... first post here i think. I got a couple questions. First off heres what ive got... an85K10 pickup. i got some boxes in the cab corners and put in some 6x9's and then some whatever stock are up in the dash... i wanna say 3.5'' all JL stuff... Well, to help my friend out... (turns 18 later this month and has to pay speeding fines) I thought about buying his amp and sub. It is a Kenworth KAC-ps300T and a
    Pyle
    10'' 1200 Watt Red Label Square Subwoofer

What in the world can i do here? its a 2 channel amp and i have no idea what that means. I know nothing... i just want a tad bit more bass. could i get a truck box behind the seat with this sub? http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=pyle&cat1=Car%20Audio&cat2=Woofers&model=PLSQ10D

How in the world would i go about hooking it up? can the amp power my 6x9's too? Thanks for the help, i really am gonna need it here :doah:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Normally it's 1 speaker per channel. So a 2 channel amp would be used for 2 speakers.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

2 channel amps can be used for 1 speaker, 2 speakers, 3, 4 5, etc... The only question would be how the voice coils are wired together and what final impedance this would provide to the amp. This is especially true when discussing subwoofers, as there is zero concern for stereo seperation.

I briefly looked into the specs for that amp (which is a Kenwood, not a Kenworth btw), they are:
    100x2@4ohms
    200x2@2ohms
    400x1@4ohms bridged

After looking up the sub (Pyle PLSQ10D) it appears to be a dual voice coil sub with 4ohm coils. that sub doesn't match that amp well at all. The sub being DVC 4ohm coils means it can either be wired in series for a mono 8ohm load, run one channel to each coil (being sure to use a mono signal) or you can wire the coils in parallel for a mono2ohm load (that the amp cannot handle). This really limits your wiring choices, and in the end you will only be getting half that amp's potential output (200watts rather than 400).

Honestly, if you haven't already, Id pass on this deal. That sub is far from stellar in terms of performance, and while I can find no theil/small perameters on the driver, square subs are not known for requiring small enclosures (what you need for a regular cab truck). Lastly, it simply doesn't match the amplifier well at all. And all this is ignoring my opinion that square speakers are a fad/gimmick, which they are.

If you want a nice performing subwoofer that works well in very small spaces, look into the Image Dynamics IDQ's. They are notortious for playing in small sealed boxes (amazingly small) and have been a top-notch SQ subwoofer for the past several years in the competition lanes. You also have the possibility of going with an array of smaller subs, like 8's, which is really growing in popularity with regular cab owners.

4. MTChevy

kenworth...what an idiot... i think i got it figured out on how to hook it up but i am still wondering... What chevyin said makes me wonder wtf im doing. hey chevyin, do you have any diagrams or anything that shows how to wire this thing up? I got this for wiring it right now http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/MTChevy/wiring.jpg

Im not looking for loud either... im just looking for a tad bit more bass. Maybe i can find a cheap amp along the way that is good with this sub. If i was to get different stuff it would cost a whole lot more money. This is 50 bux so i thought i couldnt go wrong. Also, what does the un-balanced, balanced tab need to be set on for this setup? Thanks

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

unbalanced.
    I agree with the last post. You either need another speaker like that or a different amp. You would only be using one channel of that amp. If you got a 2F,1M "y" adapter it would get you by though.

6. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Kenworth was just a simple typo Im sure, made me laugh. :D

Your wiring diagram basically just lays out how to bridge an amp (pull the positive from one channel, the negative from another). You would need to consult your owner's manual to determine if thats the correct pos and nagative for your particular amplifier. RockfordFosgate has a nice little prgram for laying out wiring diagram options. Just fill in the fields with the correct info (number of speakers, speaker's coil configuration), hit the button and it displays each wiring option available in diagrams. Here's the link: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

If you have trouble with RF's program, ask any questions you have here.

You would not want to wire the amp up using only one channel. If you do use that amp and sub, you'll want to wire each coil to its own channel for a 100x2@4ohms situation. You'll just need to sum your signal mono.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Wire the voicecoils in series and attach the positive wire to the left channel positive and attach the negative to the right channel negative.

8. MTChevy

ahhh, sounding good...:D

9. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

exactly. Bridging the amp will drop the load 1 more time, giving you the 400x 1 4 ohm load.

10. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Bridging an amp only halves the impedance to each channel. An 8ohm mono load into a bridged amplifier is still an 8ohm mono load (and power ratings from the manufacturer should be calculated using this impedance configuration). When you 'bridge' an amp, half the power is drawn from one channel, and half from the other, hence an 8ohm mono load into a bridged amplifier will show 4ohms to each channel. This is why you will always find an amplifier's rated 4ohmx2 and 8ohmx1 (when bridged) are identical... to the amplifier its the exact same thing. Furthermore, this also means wiring the sub in series then bridging the amp will result in exactly the same output as simply running the amplifier at 4ohms stereo (one channel to each coil). Same result, just your choice which way you prefer to do it.

11. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Been a while. You are right.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006