Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major interior repair

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990Blazer, Dec 18, 2000.

1. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

I recently looked at a 1986 GMC Jimmy. It has a nice body and a straight frame. However it needs a new tranny, and possibly a new motor in the near future. The inside is TORE UP! Needs new armrests, new carpet, a bunch of little odds and ends, armrests, power window switches bla bla bla. He wants 1800 for it, is it worth the repair as a project? Compared to buying an 89 in nice condition, these cheap indian guys wanted 7500 for it. And it wasnt even close to clean. Also is there a catalog for these parts? I know they have complete catalogs for chevelles and stuff like that, but how about for the Blazers?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Year One
    LMC Truck
    Cheyenne

They all have free catalogs that include interior stuff.
    Be forewarend - restoring the interior can be expensive. I think I would go ahead and get the 86 (Pre-FI = easy-to-fix) and grab the interior out of a junkyard model that some ass-ended and is fixing to be crushed...
    -- Mike

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

that sounds wat too expensive.....offer 50 bucks. I learned this about older vehicles. Buy one that has a shot drive line and a mint body, or a mint drive line and a shot body....buying a combination of both problems means digging deep into your pockets. By the way where are all these blazers so expensive. I see 89-91 blazers in perfect condition for $5000 all day long around me......even less sometimes. It is a populated area though so the supply is high, I guess, maybe I should post some of these K5s for sale in that forum...js

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

WAAAAAY TO EXPENSIVE!!!!
    I know someone selling a 1986 K5, runs real strong, tranny good, needs tires/interior/body work, but it is mechanically sound. They were gonna sell it to me for $600, that was untill I found what I'm driving now [​IMG].

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

5. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

I wish I could find k5s out in California for that price. The one i want to restore is 1800 and i found out it has rusty floorboards. But i told the real test to see if the bottom is about to fall out is to look for rust in the wheel wells. Someone told me people from the eastern states bring there rusted rigs out here and dump them for cheap. And i foudn out the guy lives in Minnesota. So im assuming is all rusted. HOOK ME UP WITH A DEAL HERE!

ALWAYS BUMPIN!