Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major problems 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dhdescender, Apr 24, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    My friend just bought a 6.2L and he has been having major problems with it since. First off it kept blowing oil lines going into the engine oil cooler. That was fixed by upgrading the hose. But recently it keeps stalling for no reason. Mostly around idle, or if on the highway and the pedal gets let off. possibly slow idle speed?. Then after enough times the batterys are dead so Im assuming thats the alternator. Tonight he just got a major tick in the motor although there is all the oil in it that there should be. Anyways sorta just a rant but any help is definetly appreciated.

-Kyle

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Take it over to tRusty - he can fix it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...I'm still trying to get mine running right, and I'm no diesel guru by anyones definition/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Qualicum beach is a fair drive and an expensive Ferry ride away too./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Is that Jordan's 6.2? Didn't he blow an oil cooler line off and run it low on oil? I don't imagine it was run low for long, but I'd still be somewhat concerned about bearing damage...especially if this is when it started to stall and otherwise run weird.

Rene

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Yeah that would be Jordans. He is starting to think it may be a head gasket problem with the stalling and a faulty injector with the ticking but it still has to be looked at more closely.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL...I'm still trying to get mine running right, and I'm no diesel guru by anyones definition/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Qualicum beach is a fair drive and an expensive Ferry ride away too./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Is that Jordan's 6.2? Didn't he blow an oil cooler line off and run it low on oil? I don't imagine it was run low for long, but I'd still be somewhat concerned about bearing damage...especially if this is when it started to stall and otherwise run weird.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

If it blew an oil line and ran low for one day, the ticking IS the bearings being worn out and the slack in the rods makes that ticking, before long it could become clacking, that's how I bought my van with 6.2
    The bearing was completely gone on one rod.
    If you check it now, you might get away with just change of bearings.