Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major Project Suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by stylin6, Jul 4, 2002.

1. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Bought this bad boy about 6 months ago and started wrenching on it. I've got a heck of a lot more to do. believe me!! The Suburban started off as a 2 wheel drive ambulance with a big block in it. Somewhere along the line, someone bought it and put it on a 77 Suburban 4X4 frame. About the only good thing about the "conversion" is that I don't have to pick up the body and put it on the frame- everything else I am having to completely redo (don't you hate it when people do stuff halfass!) There were only two pieces of angle iron holding the body to the frame and a couple of rotted out rubber bushings. The rear axle had been moved forward on the frame by about 6 inches to line up with the new wheel wells. When this was done, a cutting torch was used and whoever did it just burned several holes in the frame and ran some bolts thru it. The rear spring supports only have to bolts holding the springs to the frame with a 2X4 piece of wood on the bottom side with a bolt thru it. Someone pulled the big block out of it long ago and replaced it with an old 305/350 and a 203 transfer that only works in 4 high!

Now, you may ask what I was smoking when I bought this monster project /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Guess I just saw a good (challenging) project! So far I've got a stout 454 ready to drop in it which will be backed by a 400 tranny and a 241 transfer case. Completely rebuilt several of the body mounts (had to actually fabricate several of them) and started replacing several of the rusted out body panels. Replaced the entire wiring harness in the truck and got a couple of buckets out of a 300ZX for the front. Most of the other miscellaneous stuff I've pulled out of the local junkyard.

So far its been fun- though it may cause me a divorce in the long run! The wifes patience has run out on me and my vehicle "projects"!! Once you start building them, it gets in your blood!
  2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2001
    you're a brave man... i would have ditched the body shortened the frame and turned it into a trail only rig.