Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

major project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad82k5, May 23, 2001.

1. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I just acquired a 76 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy. it has an sm465, np205, 14ff, and dana44 - my question is, should i keep my 1/2 ton springs or switch the heavier ones over from the pickup?
    eric

Hell, it don't really matter....it's just for my race car.

2. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

did i mention that i have 3 months to complete this. I think this should give me plenty of time due to the fact that i will work ridiculous hours on my vehicles. I have to get my blazer back together before i go back to school this fall, as i am not going to drive my nova on the ice
    eric

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Do you have lift springs in there now or do you plan to in the future? If you plan to lift, you'll be swapping them later. SOme of the leaf I bolts are a bitch to get out. I'd only want to have to do them once if I had a choice.
    However, Im not sure of the difference in the 3/4 ton srpings and the 1/2 tons. The may just be the same springs, and the 3/4 may be strong enuff to lift it a bit over the 1/2 if they are in fact stronger springs.
    Anybody else?

My president is Steve Fox.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10 bolts w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think you will find that the 3/4s are not a bolt in. They should be longer than the Blazer springs if they have not been converted to long springs. However, if you move the mount to fit them (many do) they will likely ride a bit rougher but it should cure the "saggy ass Blazer" syndrome that so many K5s suffer.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

If they are the same length I think I will switch them. Otherwise I will keep the 1/2 tons. From what I have read in this forum, the swap seems to be pretty straightforward so i hope to have my k5(20?) back on the road soon. thanks for the information.
    eric

6. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

hey with 3 months you can do anything!! i have been swapping frames on my blazer this week with the help of my cousin a friend and every once in a while a couple of friends that have every tool possible. so far i have been working 5 days and i have the body off, swapped frames, brake, fuel and every other line on there and my lift is now on along with my ORD steering brace, sway bar disconnect, HD front shackles, and I am hoping to be done by this weekend. so with 3 months you can do everything. I have rally lucked out by being able to use tractors and a front end loader to lift my engine, trans and x case all at once. I think you should try to get heavy duty leafs. they are not hard to put on and once you get the old ones off then you won't have to wrestle with them again just slap on the new ones.
    sergio