Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Major tire wear on the front tires ....why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueOx, Dec 24, 2003.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I really don’t drive the K5 that much but recently I started to drive it every day. After the d60 and 14blt swap I put about 50 miles on it and stopped driving it. While I was at it I added some new 35 MTR’s on 15x10” wheels. I started looking at the front tires and the tread it almost gone in less than a 1000 miles. The rear tires look so new they still have that rubber webbing on them. I know I need to work on the front brakes and install the steering dampener (for lack of a better word) on the D60. The wear on the front tires starts on the inside and gets worse as you move to the out side of the tires. (almost a taper look) I also noticed when I’m in a parking lot and drive in a circle I leave a perfect front tire tread marks on the ground. I never had an alignment done after the install. Can camber and caster angles be adjusted on the D60? What could be the culprit it my tire wear and how do I fix it?

Thanks

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to set your "toe-in". From what you described I would guess you have too much. Take a measurement between the tires in front and behind the axle on a parallel plain at about axle level. The front measurement should be 1/8" - 1/4" less than the rear measurement.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you need to set your "toe-in". From what you described I would guess you have too much. Take a measurement between the tires in front and behind the axle on a parallel <font color="red"> plane </font> at about axle level. The front measurement should be 1/8" - 1/4" less than the rear measurement.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed it

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Spend $50 for a computer alignment to save your really expensive investment in tires.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

definetly sounds like toe-in. I would just take it down to a shop and have them align it.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yeah I would agree with those guys it does sound like an alignment problem, I had a buddy with the same problem on his truck he ended up having a Tierod or something(i dont rightly recall what it was) on his F150 break.

Say guys do you know what kind of alignment I need to have the shop do so my Right Rear tires keep from wearing out so fast /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif