Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

major tranny leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kitasjimmy, May 5, 2007.

1. kitasjimmy

kitasjimmy Registered Member

I've got a major trans leak in my 91 Jimmy. I'm thinking it is the front seal. I want to try to fix it myself but have never dropped a trans before. Anyone have any suggestions. Is this something I can do in my driveway. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx all!:confused:

2. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i've done them in gravel so yeah you can do it in your driveway. if it's asphalt it'll just be a little warm. lol anyhow you'll have your tranny lines, torque converter bolts(3of em), bellhousing bolts(6 but mine only goes back with 4), driveshaft (front and rear depending on 4wd or not) tranny crossmember bolts, speedometer, and i think that's it? sure it's got the 700 r4 so watch out for the linkage going to the carb. if it's a 350 you'll have the one vaccuum line. but all in all it shouldn't take that long. first time i did one it took me bout 45 minutes to take it out. i had a homemade piece to balance the tranny and transfer case though and it went into the jack hole so it made it alot easier. any more help i can think of i'll post

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

oh yeah get a pan under it and pull your dipstick. it'll leak for a bit so go make a sandwich or somethinglol

4. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

haha i just did it on my gravel driveway you will also need a portable tranny jack to help support the transmission and t-case assembly when you drop it down if you think its the front seal pissin it out be sure to double check its not your torque converter or anything like that cause thats what happend to mine and now i have to fully rebuild mine TCI style but still its a pain to have to pull it again ONCE uve changed that seal already haha

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If you are only going for front access. would it be easier to pull the engine up a bit?