Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAK 90?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have a line on a MAK 90 here from a local guy, 2 30rd. mags $300. I looked on Guns America.com, seems like a pretty good deal, depending on what make, stock etc.

I had a friend that had one, but it has been probably been 13 years or so since I fired that one.

Any input?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive only shot a couple o AK-clones... but I reaaally liked the Bulgarian SLR-95. Only reason I sold it was cause it got banned, price sky-rocketed and I had the opportunity/funds to build a pre-ban CAR15... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aren't the MAK90's the ones with the thumbhole stock, Asian manufacture, etc?

They probably work ok, but with the ban gone, there will probably be more, "better looking" (read: pre-ban style) AK's.

Most of the Asian manufactured stuff is inferior in quality to former Eastern Bloc countries. I have a Yugoslav AK circa 1988, and it is a NICE piece. Like I said, the asian stuff will work (have an Asian SKS) but the toolmarks, rough fit, etc., don't make for anything other than a workhorse.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed on the Yugo-made weapons... very nice. I guess a history of fighting the Nazis and being sandwiched between super-powers results in some good after all! lol!

j

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya, MAK's are Chinese and pretty craptastic...if you WANT an AK, and I'd advise against it, you could pick up a romanian for cheaper I have One it was pretty good, till I got an AR15 now it collects dust!! I'd say save a few more bucks and get an AR15, you wont be disapointed!!

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have a Norinco MAK90 and it's not a bad little piece. I've never had any jams, misfires, etc. but we all know that's cause of the loose tolerances. Thumbhole stock is ok but I'd like to get an AK-style forend and pistol grip stock. They used to be available through one of the dozen or so mail order cataloges I get every week but I haven't seen them in a while. Bought mine for $300 brand new in the box. Make sure you get the Belgum magazines. They're better quality.

Also have a Colt A2 AR-15 preban - I found some triangular "Nam-era" forends for $10. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Actually, when I looked on GunsAmerica there were MAK-90's with and without thumbhole stocks and several of them said they were Romanian Manuf. Anyone know the deal with that?

I have shot plenty of the Norinco Chinese P.O.S. AK's and many Chinese SKS, they all seemd pretty crappy, am I wrong in thinking this one may not be Chinese?

Ideally I would get a Maadi (Egyptian, I've heard good things) or an Eastern bloc manuf. AK, but I am wanting somthing local and private sale, I'm a paranoid prick about registered sales, I've only bought two of my twelve guns at a dealer.

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

see ya just cant slap a pistol grip on a MAK or any AK with a thumbhole stock because although the AWB ban is gone, there is still an Import ban on "Non-sporting" rifles...so to get around that loophole they throw a thumbhole on and now its not evil....however if you DO want a pistol grip, and now all the other evil features since the AWB is dead, you will have to replace 7 parts with USA made parts....its stupid, but its the loophole that then makes it A-OK with the ATF....check it out I believe the Law is called 922R.
    As far as AK's go though, I would just get a Romanian one...chrome lined barrel and MOST at least the SAR1's, 2's. and 3's come with enough US parts to make a pistol grip legal...plus they are pretty cheap and I can say from experience My romanian is of MUCH better quality then ANY MAK90 I have seen /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif