Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

make a single outlet a dual outlet??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Feb 28, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" in, 3" out flowmaster 3-chamber muffler. I run Doug Thorley headers and no cat. The muffler has the outlet on the right side with a spot on the left that looks like it is for another outlet. Could I use a hole saw and cut out the spot and weld on another turn-down? I want it to be louder and free-er flowing, this would be a cheaper alternative to getting a 2-chamber or a 1-chamber. Any thoughts, or does anyone have a 1 or 2 chamber muffler that they don't want anymore??:D :truck:

2. Guss

Guss Registered Member

why not run straight pipes

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I still want a decent sound without pissing off the cops (and neighbors), plus I like the low end torque of my 406.:truck:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sell that muffler and get a dual outlet mufler already to go . You don't want to chance ruining the one you have . The reason it appears you can put one there is they use simmilar cans for many different mufflers , they are a big business , this cuts down costs . The internal baffling is what is different from muffler to muffler within the same size and style case . You may change their flow patterns by opening up that hole :k5: :k5:

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what he said. even tho the cans might look the same. it will almost definatly have a different baffle arrangement inside.

i've got a 2 chamber flowmaster on my truck. its not loud enough for me. i've tried it with and without a cat. its a little louder w/o the cat, but smells like more raw fuel in the exhaust. didnt like it. im thinking of going with a magnaflow.
    flowmasters create too much back pressure IMO.

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

So who has experience with one chambers?? :truck:

7. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I just installed a one chamber and I love it. It is actually a little quieter at idle than it was with the two chamber but quite a bit louder at 3-4000 rpm. I went from dual 2.5" and a dual chamber to single 3" and a single chamber, I also added the flowmaster y pipe collector which is much better than what my edlebrock headers came with. The single chamber flows better and seems to have made the headers quieter at all rpms so the noise is much lower in the front seats. I dont have a back seat or any interior. At highway speeds in OD the muffler is as loud as the 37" mtrs and other wind noise pretty easy to talk to one another. I originallu wanted a magnaflow but it would not fit so I went with the single chamber not sure what I was getting mysealf into. The girlfried actually likes it better now she thinks it is quieter.

First link shows how the y pipe, cat and muffler were trimed to fit behind the transfercase.
    Second shows the routing of the crossover pipe. I have my t-case clocked up 4" so I moved the crossover pipe over the t-case output so that it is out of the way and I can run a flat skidplate.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2535/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2536/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1