Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Make a wheelin Machine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skykrawler, Jul 24, 2006.

1. skykrawler

skykrawler Registered Member

:confused: I have a 74, needs alot of work, been going back and forth if I want to make it a DD or OHV, I am thinking I want to go make it a wheeling machine. What can I do. it has like a four inch lift on it now, I want at least six. I am thinking about 35's. Can I keep my axles? Gears? Lockers? Lift? I want something that is going to be mean but now make me broke as hell. Any suggestions?

2. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

that all depends on ow hard your going to wheel it. what are your plans , and what equipment does it have now.

3. skykrawler

Well I just bought it, It has a four inch lift, stock axles. I am not going to wheel Hard core where it's a buggy, but I want to be able to go do 4+ rated trails in it as well. I figure I will need some good articulation out of it. and with going bigger tires I figure I will need gears and lockers. but I dont know what the chevy comes with stock and how well they do.

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Welcome Sky I figured you'd make it over here from RME eventually. What kind of lift is on it? Blocks or springs in the rear? I put a shackle flip and 56" springs in the back of mine and it will flex all day long. Ford shock towers in the front will let you flex more up front as well. Sky's the limit on these things so have fun with it.

5. skykrawler

I think he has leafs all the way around, I will have to check again. I am trying to find out about it, It drives like it has a locker front and rear, when I am stopped and turn to go it chirps. So i need to take off the cover and check it out, I think it might be welded. I like how you did your interior. I am a real big fan of it. I am looking to do something like that. I will have to come over and check it out one day. get some ideas.

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

the guy that sold you that posted that front and rear are both welded so be careful on the gas in turns on asphalt

7. skykrawler

Makes alot of sense on why it is chirping alot when I turn and go slow. Is welded a good way to go?

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck is welded front and rear and I love it. It wont turn very well when in 4 wheel drive but it does good and was cheap. I have 14bff rear so its stronger and I dont have to worry about it as much as you would with 1/2 tons.