Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

make certain passengers stay IN THE VEHICLE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m j, Jun 9, 2003.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

an aqaintance of mine was out wheelin with his friends as a passenger
    in a tough spot behind Mission BC he decided to bail out as the truck began to roll
    he was crushed by the fullsize Ford*EDIT: THIS WAS THIRD HAND INFO FROM WOMEN AND MY BAD MEMORY, WITNESSES STATE IT WAS A TOYOTA 4RUNNER* as it rolled
    over 4 hrs before first real medical assistance arrived on scene *EDIT: AGAIN NEW INFO SEEMS TO BE HE GOT TO HOSPITAL IN 4HRS*
    another truck had to drive out to cel phone range to call help
    his condition is rough
    not concious
    heart puntured
    pelvis destroyed
    bladder puntured
    lung collapsed
    etc

if he survives the doctor claims it is unlikely he will be able to continue working as a heavy duty mechanic

the driver is devastated
    the drivers 7 yo son, also a passenger in the truck, witnessed the entire incident

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I hope the guy makes it but this is a good example of why we should always make sure that folks in our rigs understand what to expect, what they need to do and what they SHOULD NOT do. Hang on, relax and don't get out until I tell you to get out.

This guy obviously didn't understand that seatbelts are supposed to keep you inside the truck where you have a better chance of surviving a rollover.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif keep us posted on his condition please

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ouch, I hate hearing this kind of thing. I hope he makes it through OK. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font>

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think it's more important to ensure that all passenger are strapped in, rather than just stay in the vehicle. Even if he stayed inside the truck, if he did not have his seatbelt on, there's still a good chance of being thrown from the truck during the roll...I hope he comes through, the human body can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' if ya know what I mean... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't know what people think when they try to jump out and think they are faster then gravity.

That sucks....Hope the guy get's better.

THink I'll go add more tube to the roll cage and 4 points with pad locks.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

today the news isnt good.
    they have been trying to keep his blood pressure down to prevent the hole in his heart from opening right up
    his pressure and temperature was up this morning
    fighting some infection in his sinus area causing some fever
    accident was last Sunday

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I really hope he gets better. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

holy [naughty word]......that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

reminds me of a story I heard on the news during the recent Iraq war: One of the soldiers killed was killed when he did the same thing as his 5 ton 6x6 was rolling over, and he was the driver.

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

did he fall, or jump?

seems if the truck was rolling that way..he may have fallen out...stupid to jump down in a roll

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

OK then the story also gets sicker /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

read the thread as the Mog driver is also in it telling his side

from local 4x4 site

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey everybody, I'm gonna start this off on a good note cause what I have to say isn't all that nice.
    I would like to thank Dan from the list for offering to help my friends and I out today. But he had other commits. Thanks to no end. If I can ever help you out then please feel free to ask.
    Now I am sorry if I insault or offend anyone here with the rest of my rant but I expect better of fellow wheelers. At 3:15 this afternoon I got a call from a buddy, who had rolled his 4 ruuner on the rolly lake powerline loop, not long before calling me. there where 3 people in the truck. the driver was banged up and probably fractured his elbow, his son was pretty okay except he had just rolled 4 and a half times but the passanger is in VGH after being flown there with a shattered pelvis.
    Where I am F@#king pissed right off is that when I got up there after ranging a recovery truck only 3 hours later and were met on the way in by a group of suzuki's. they told us that a couple mogs where there and looked like they were getting parts off it. I ran up on foot as the vehicle we where with had gotten stuck and was getting helped out. when i saw them pass me on the other side of the trail i couldn't get to them so i phoned back to my friends to tell them they were coming down. When they got to my friends they admitted to having his recovery rope. Now how flippin hard would they like to kick a person when they are down. you leave a vehicle to get medical help and *******s take what they think they like???????????????????????? And crazy me thought there was 4x4 edicate. (sorry to those that care out there still.) And yes i am going to point out that the person who took the strap was a unimog that was painted orange and had -- name deleted by lars--.com all over it. The other thing that gets me pissed is that someone took his CB which was his fathers and has more sentimental value than anything, they took the stereo, one 6x9, and the rear shocks. Now we are pretty sure we know what happened to the stuff but could never prove anything.
    I would like to say that if the people are not to spineless to admit they took advantage of a person who right now is so upset he hurt his friend so bad. He doesn't care who or why the stuff was taken, but would like to see them own up and return the stuff. Even post where the stuff can be found that would be greatly appreciated. They can leave it somewhere and no one will follow up on it.
    Right now I have lost a lot of faith in some of the 4x4er's around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

last I heard of his condition, it bouyed up enough for a second round of operations on his pelvis.
    also heard he was 'not happy' when they let him out of sedation a bit and has been restrained and sedated again.

12. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

thats just wrong, taking advantage of a vehicle left behind due to injuries. but i read on the other site, and the mogs did not loot the stuff, it was looted before.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats quite the thread. I've actually seen trucks set on fire that were stuck and left. Makes humanity look bad.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yup. ive seen em All shot up like swiss cheese abd burnt too. pretty freakin low i must say, Ive had to leave a rig out in the bush for three days before, luckily it was stock and had no good things on it.

But damn.... MJ did they ever find who took the stuff?? or does the search continue?

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most clubs here will do everything they can to NOT leave a truck no matter how bad things are just because of this sort of stuff. It sickens me that some of the same guys that'll wave and chat with ya on the trail are more than likely the same asshats that'll strip your truck in a hearbeat if they found it abandoned for whatever reason...

I hope the guy pulls through MJ. I had a buddy attempt to bail on me during a near rollover a few years back. I got pretty upset with him for that...luckily we didn't go over but it was pretty close to being a very bad day. I'd feel bad about rolling over...but I'd be devastated if during that rollover a friend was badly hurt or killed.

Rene

16. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeap ive seen that kinda stuff like on my webpage the first pic is of one of my buddys Honda that was left out there and on the trail so i moved it outta the way and fliped it over and then ran over it and then we all stood on top of it for a pic. We also did this to another buddys Mustang 4 banger it got stuck in a hole and then we pulled it out and needed parts off the tranny so i fliped it over and we got the tranny out and it was stripped down to the sheet metal like almost 2 days later. We used them as Demoltion derby cars they were like 100 dollars each so we got a lot of fun outta them since then they have become RTI ramps for everyone out there. But there is jeeps and other stuff out there too all shot up and what not. its all fun and the only bad thing is when the brothers steal cars(with 20's or bigger) from the AMC 24 movies and take the wheels off there and leave the car.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene,

you still frequent that site do you not?
    why did they remove that thread?
    I am suspecting lack of testicles on their part AGAIN but if you know otherwise...

anyway Jerry is awake now.
    they did something in his tracea(spelling?) so that he can speak a bit now, something about a plug or ??.
    the hole in his heart seems to be healing up.
    the news is very positive although they are unsure about what his mobility will be.
    I know that pelvis take a looong time to heal after watching my brother go through months of it when his was snapped, Jerry's sounds worse then that.
    they will be moving him to a hospital closer to his home.

apparently (again third hand), as he is an over 200lber (as was the driver) he feared they would crush the child in the rollover so opted to try and step out.

I have never met the driver so I do not have any info on his stuff or the search, other then he is very bitter about that aspect of this incident as we all are.

As Rene's story also pointed out you can not assume your passengers are aware of the dangers you HAVE to preach it.

18. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

I'll say it because "i have no fear"
    Whoever reads this post stop at the end and give a 15 second prayer.
    I hate that another person got hurt that bad in the lifestyle that I and we choose.
    m j, take heart and tell your 'aqaintance' that 'those who care' are lookin out for him.
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Jerry is now in something like an 'old folks home' setting
    extended care facility or ??
    he is able to sit up on his own but they are discouraging him from doing that.
    one of the pins in his pelvis didnt anchor properly, so that will need to be redone

he has eating on his own for quite a while and he no longer has any tubes or hoses stuck in him.

it is amazing how long it takes to recover from a quick day trip.
    I would go nuts being couped up like that

20. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

glad he is getting better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks for keeping us posted