Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Make my day baby......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Oct 4, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Home Invasion Suspect Stabbed To Death By Homeowner
    Woman Tried To Fight Off Intruder With Baseball Bat

POSTED: 8:30 am MDT October 4, 2005
    UPDATED: 10:52 am MDT October 4, 2005

BOULDER, Colo. -- The Boulder County Sheriff's Office is investigating a case where a couple tried to fight off an apparent home invasion suspect and eventually killed him.

The man's body was found on the front steps of a home, located on the 100 block of Poorman Road, off Sunshine Canyon, about three miles west of Boulder.

Deputies say the masked man rang the doorbell of the couple's home just before 10:30 p.m. Monday. When 59-year-old Becci Starr answered the door, the suspect tried to force his way into the home with a fake handgun, she said.

Starr screamed and tried to fight him off with a baseball bat, she said. The intruder then dropped the toy gun and took out a knife from his pocket and tried to attack her again, she said.

Starr's husband, 56-year-old Scott Mattes, heard her screams and ran to her side. Mattes tackled the masked man outside the front door and struggled with the man for a few minutes. Mattes eventually wrested the knife from the intruder and stabbed him with it as Starr took the bat and struck the man again, the couple said.

Mattes tried to resuscitate the suspect after he was no longer deemed a threat, but he died at the scene, said Sheriff's Lt. Phil West.

Mattes suffered minor injuries and was taken to Boulder Community Hospital where he was treated and released.

The suspect is said to be a white male in his 20s or 30s. He has not been identified. An autopsy is planned for later Tuesday.

No charges are expected to be filed against the couple, since their actions fall under Colorado's "Make My Day" law. The state law, passed in 1985, allows homeowners to use deadly force to defend themselves, their family or their property "when another person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling" and when they feel that the intruder "might use any physical force."

In Boulder no less!!!!

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

DAMN STRAIGHT !!!

we here in Arizona are allowed to carry handguns around,,,but don't EVER use it, corrupt laywers, judges, general public servants loop and holes throughout the lawbooks and legal system will put you away, even for defending yourself.

Only the cops here are allowed to "feel like my life was in danger"

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Right on!!! :bow:

It's nice to see "fight back" stories in the news from time to time.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

In my opinion if someone comes into your home you have the right to shoot their a$$! No one should have to wait and see if the intruder is willing to do physical harm. If someone is merely on your property maybe so, but if they set one foot inside your home..... fire away!

If anyone here is a member of the NRA, their magazines have lots of stories like this.

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

AWESOME!

Making it illegal to defend ourselves is yet something else the leftists want so they can tell criminals 'Invade all you want! The homeowners can shoot you, but they'll go to jail for it and you won't even be charged!'

Damn leftists.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good for them. More stories should end like this.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I just joined 2 weeks ago...

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I wish everyone would join the NRA. It is a great organization and without them we would have long ago lost many of our rights to keep and bear arms. That's my NRA plug. :D Many people don't know it but one of Hitler's first steps that led to the holocaust was the requiring of all firearms to be registered. When the left says they have no intent of taking away firearms and that they just simply want to keep track of them............yea right. I feel sure the German citizens thought the same thing.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If the perp is dead when the law gets there, then there is only one story - not two.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

great story, those parts of the NRA mags are me and my wife's favorite. Some of them are really funny... 85 year old ladies kicking ass on 4 hurking 20 year old men etc. Good stuff!

j

11. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

new law in Florida

That's sweet!We have a new law here in Florida allowing citizens to defend themselves from aggression if they are in a public area or any other place where they have a legal right to be.Including the use of deadly force!!!Right now we have a leftist group(the Bradys) giving out phamplets to visitors at airports in Florida warning them not to "argue with locals" and other such bull****-an attempt to influence legislators here to change the law.I read a news article yesterday and it said that Florida currently has over 350,000 citizens licensed to carry concealed,including ME.The new law is dubbed the "stand your ground" law and it took effect Saturday.The crooks and druggies had better watch their ***es around here! :waytogo:

12. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

confiscation

After Hitler registered all guns and rifles, when he decided to take over completely, he knew exactly where to go. Look at the pacifists in England and Australia. They have outlawed handguns and rifles. Violent crime is way up. Fools! Hunting is illegal. Their Olympic shooting teams have to go to another country to practice. Canada required registration about ten years ago. Now the nuts in Ontario are saying that they (the government) will require all guns be kept in a central storage facility, for safe keeping. Fools! What did the National Guard do in New Orleans when they arrived? They confiscated all of the guns they could find. Fools! They only stopped days later when the NRA obtained a federal restraining order.

John Lott More Guns, Less Crime, 1998

Richard Poe The Seven Myths of Gun Control, 2001

Statistically, violent crime goes down 4% for every 1% increase in gun ownership. Its even higher in concealed carry states.

When the Islamic terrorists detonate a nuclear bomb on American soil (and the Feds have admitted it will happen), the Feds will first declare marshall law, suspend the Constitution and all of your rights, and then take away all the guns they can find. Will they thereafter protect your family? Fools!!!

As we all saw in New Orleans, you had better be prepared.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 'cause that happened in the People's Republic of Boulder, I figured they'd have been arrested and hippies would've been at the jail saying they should go to jail for killing that innocent criminal...

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think in SD we just bury them in cornfields and get back to out lives

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Fertilizer huh??

Interesting!--you bury them in the cornfields for fertilizer??...hmmm..I guess everywhere you go there are different customs..I've heard here they just send you on a little boat ride with a rented woodchipper and go "chummin" for sharks... :whistle: .. :eek1: ..even the "CSI Files" would have a hard time finding any evidence in that case... :thinking: :deal:

I feel anyone who invades a home should be considered fair game for whatever weapon you can disable them with--after all,THEY came prepared to kill YOU if nessasary!..so why should THEY be able to get away with it,and not YOU??...I'll do my best to kill anyone who forces their way in MY house,and tries to kill or rob ME!...laws or NO laws!..you have to be ALIVE to go to jail after all...you wont have to worry about serving time if your dead..
    :(

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Saw that this morning, it's about 15 minutes away from our place. The longmont paper mentioned the bat but not the knife.

Be interesting to see if they differentiate between the porch and home.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree... if some punk breaks into or tries to forcibly enter your home at night he has stepped WAY over a sacred line of self defense. He is intruding upon one's home... and that is some heinous ****. IMO these people should get a medal for civil service, not a chit load of lawsuits, CSI investigations and BS from public officials. Doesn't matter what weapon you use... bare hands, bat, knife, gun, land mine, IED or whatever... if he invades your home all bets should be off.

j

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe if they had shot the guy, buy when you killl him with a bat and his own knife in your doorstep, it's pretty clear that he was wrong.

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Check out Proposition H in San Francisco that they are trying to pass. Clicky

20. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You know it never fails I want to rob a store so I'm going to go to Sportmans Warehouse and buy a gun, now I won't be able to legally buy a gun that I will then use to commit a haneous crime with. Man I am so disappointed I guess I have to go to my local crack house and get one from a criminal.

How is it that people even think, remotely, that gun control means crime control. Look at how much more crime we have now that the ban list no longer exists so my 22 can now have a thirty round clip :D.

I had never heard about the NG siezing guns in NO I going to have to check into that.