Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Make my old frame into a bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not knowing any possible place to get steel tubing or thick steel plate in large pieces, I got to thinking.

What do you guys think about using my old frame to make some bumpers from?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't see anything wrong with it. Might be nice except for all the holes.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I could draw out my idea. I'm thinking of extending the front frame horns out about 12" by bolting a piece of the old frame on there. Then make a flat surface on the top of it to mount a winch. I'd use some of the longer straight sections near the rear or the middle to make the front piece. I might even be able to slap a big piece of plate on top to stand while I'm working on the engine.

This outta turn out pretty good. I do know how to weld, but I've never welded anything structural except in class.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds nice

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

have you checked with machine or welding shops, (if there are any by you???). I had to get all of my bumper material from places like that

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is that stuff expensive though?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Have you looked in your local Yellow Pages under "Steel"? Pay close attention to the places with names like "Pacific Recycling" because they probably will sell good used steel for 1/2 the cost of new steel. I usually pay $0.30-0.45 per pound for clean used steel.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

steel really isn't all that expensive.your idea is cool though,just don't make it to heavy and drop yuor front end. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not really, when i did mine i spent about 80 bucks on materials and it was done.(After a bunch of head scratching and looking)

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Give Central Steel and Wire a call....I have been in their building, and they have about any kind of tube you could ask for....

I am not sure if they sell to just individuals. They are located just North of you in the Windy City....

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just wish I had a good plan. I've been thinking about it and I just don't know how to design it.

I don't care how heavy it is, I'll buy new springs to make a good bumper work if I have to.

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hell, I'd leave the muffler's and tailpipe's on for that, "Crush Zone" effect. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Didn't want to continue a heist on the supersizek5 post. Are you still thinking of chopping the frame up to make the bumper? You could cut a relatively straight peice that is the width of the frame rails, remove the bottom of the C-channel so you could angle the bottom in like a skid plate, then hammer the top down flat again to brace anothe peice for a frame mount then plate the sides for strength and add bolts front and back. Its minimal but would get you what your after. a little more of the same could build sides onto it.

Going fresh steel would make design a bit easier - take some scissors and a cardboard box and a bit of ducttape and make a mockup in place on the truck first... then when you flatten the cardboard out, you have a template to cut from.