Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Makin a new 60 cover...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 14, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well sorta...Not like the 14b covers I make. This is just gonna be a modified stock cover as opposed to a totally custom built cover. One of these days when I'm reallly motivated, I'll design a custom one...Till then, here's a couple pictures of the modified stock cover..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All I'm doing is plating in the bottom half of the cover with 1/4" plate, and adding the little cages to protect the bolt heads. Not finished yet obviously. That was last nights progress. Should be done with it today. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That's pretty slick man. I need to fab up something like that...
    My current front diff guard is smashed bent to hell...The bolt holes don't even line up anymore /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why didn't you take a picture of the inside of the cover?. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you take a picture of the inside of the cover?. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HA!

The one that says "KidJethro is a wanker" is still sitting on the shelf in the shop $hit brick. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Worked on it a bit more tonight...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks good, why do you have such a long piece of pipe protecting the bolts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hes going to plate that side as well, the tubing will be ground down once the new cover metal is mated to them.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hes going to plate that side as well, the tubing will be ground down once the new cover metal is mated to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh I understand now.

Kidjethro, I am drooling over your welds, how long have you been welding, and did you get any special training? (i.e. college) /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get the plate around the pipe? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Do you have a torch or plasma cutter? Just hack-it and fill it in with weld? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I need to start mine real soon, the pipe idea I'm liking! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I wondered how you guys made those perfect cut down recessed bolt holes! I've been thinking about how I was going to drill them out the drill press. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you get the plate around the pipe?
    Do you have a torch or plasma cutter? Just hack-it and fill it in with weld?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, alittle bit of hack and fill, and little bit of cutting and notching the plate to fit. It's a bit time consuming. Kinda like putting together a jig-saw puzzle where ya have to make the pieces yourself. And yes, I do have a plasma cutter. Hypertherm Powermax 900. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

As far as training for welding. I guess that would be a yes...I went to school for almost 2 years. And I earn my paycheck welding, so I get alot of practice. When ya do it everyday, it's pretty easy to get good. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HA!

The one that says "KidJethro is a wanker" is still sitting on the shelf in the shop $hit brick. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    How do you get the plate around the pipe?
    Do you have a torch or plasma cutter? Just hack-it and fill it in with weld?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, alittle bit of hack and fill, and little bit of cutting and notching the plate to fit. It's a bit time consuming. Kinda like putting together a jig-saw puzzle where ya have to make the pieces yourself. And yes, I do have a plasma cutter. Hypertherm Powermax 900. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

As far as training for welding. I guess that would be a yes...I went to school for almost 2 years. And I earn my paycheck welding, so I get alot of practice. When ya do it everyday, it's pretty easy to get good. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, what's your job for welding? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Zeus33rd

I'm a TIG welder/stupervisor for BUB Enterprises. Motorcycle/Harley/Cruiser bike exhaust. One of the largest makers of aftermarket exhaust in the country. Samson, Vance & Hines and Screamin Eagle are our compitition. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Awesome /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif