Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Makin a trailer--

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by misterfnygy, Oct 25, 2006.

1. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

Hey all I got a question-
    I have a 74 1/2 ton parts truck that has the frame just about ripped apart at the steering box. I plan to use the 465/205 for my K5 and keep the motor for something.
    Want I want to do is turn the bed and rear frame of this beast into a trailer to match my blazer. I have an extra set of lift blocks/springs for it so it will match the truck. Here is the question--
    What is the cheapest way to get an 8 lug axle under the rig. I know that R&P doesn't matter so I could just pick up a 14 bolt. I thought someone might have a better (cheaper) idea. Thanks...

And by the way- if anyone needs parts I don't want let me know...

2. Captainfab

Captainfab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try and find an old Eaton rear, they are usually cheap or free. With the Eaton rear you can drop the 3rd member and pull the axle shafts. Then make covers to replace what you took out, fill back up with 90w and you're good to go. This way there is less weight and less pulling resistance. I've done this a couple of times on trailers.

Another option would be a 14bsf or d60sf, you might be able to pick up one for cheap.

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I would get the same rear axle setup as your rig so it would be like having a bunch of spare parts on hand. for easy trail swap outs if something breaks. Just a thought.

Remington

4. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

x2.

I plan on doing the same thing so I don't have to worry about keeping as much cargo space in the K5. I did one like this for my Toy ('95 SAS about 10" lift over stock with 35's). It sat high enough to run off the bumper, and I had a full spare rear end. Nice thing on that one though, I could use the 3rd member as a spare for front or rear.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another option..

You could use ANY FF 3/4 or 1 ton axle you can get cheap or free--just chop the axle tubes off the diff, and use the right size schedule 40 or 80 pipe that will slip over them,to join them together,and weld on the spring pads..why haul a differential around for nothing ??...:crazy:

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

For spare parts, as previously mentioned. Better to leave them inside the housing, sloshing around in oil, than to have them bouncing around in the back of a truck getting beat up and rusty.

7. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

good idea--

I like the idea of carrying extra parts back there. I plan to use the trailer to haul the camping gear for extended trips. If worse came to worse I could leave the trailer if I stole all of the parts from it.-- Now I am thinking tandem axle so I can have two full sets:D !!

8. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

x2
    [​IMG]