Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making 8" lift 52" rear springs work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 12, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Making 8\" lift 52\" rear springs work

Whats the easiest way to make 52" long rear springs work on the rear of a 1-ton (with 56" springs).?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Re: Making 8\" lift 52\" rear springs work

Just move your shackle hangers forward 4". The distance from the front spring eye to the centering pin is the same. I am running 56" springs backwards on my factory 52" spring truck to move the rear axle back.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think I remember reading that the holes for the hanger are already there too.(Factory drilled frames for both versions for simplicity) That sounds like the way to go.

4. mountainexplorer

I suppose that's the only way to go. I was trying to think up some way to do it without re-locating the spring hangar. The 8" lift springs and a shackle flip at the same time ought to give 12" of lift I think.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the ride will be "great"
    off the shelf 8" springs are rock hard

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You are right, that combo should give you 12" of lift and the shackle flip will put your pinion pretty close to what you will need. I can't imagine anyone needing 12" of lift? What are you trying to do? I'm running 44" TSLs with 8" and it clears good with a few tasteful mods to the body and such. If you are using ORD hangars for your shackle flip, why worry about having to move them? The hardest part is grinding off the rivets and removing the factory hangars. Driling new holes and bolting on the new hangars is easy.

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Half tons and 3/4 tons have the spots for the hangars in both the 56 and 52 inch locations, one ton frames have only the location for 56's.
    I just finished relocating my rear hangars on my half ton to utilize 56" springs yesterday.

8. mountainexplorer

It's a Crew cab that I'm gonna run 44's under...I kept the 12" lift and 44" tires off another truck that had 52" rear springs. Under it for the rear, they had the 8" lift springs and a 4" block. I dont care about the ride, even with the 6" lift it rode horrible. I'm used to bouncing around everywhere in the cab.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Is the spring rate any better for a 56" spring. A furd 57" is nice and flexy how does a 56 compare.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought...thanks for clearing it up.

11. mountainexplorer

The truck I'm lifting is a 1-ton Crew Cab so it has I think 8 leafs plus an overload. It's pretty stiff, but can handle quite a bit of weight.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I see.....I was just curious why you wanted to go so high. I like having a lower center of gravity with the ground clearance of 44's. Good luck. I hope you try the ORD crossover steering.

13. mountainexplorer

I figure a Crew Cab would probably be the best to do the 12" lift under, cause at least its long wheelbase might aid stability a little bit. It's just gonna be a mini-monster truck (at least thats what I'm going for). Something for kids to look at and something to take through the mud bogs.

I like a lower center of gravity, too (I'm a chicken driver when it comes to extreme hills). I figure, the lift and tires cost me nearly nothing, and the Crew Cab would be the best candidate rather than the trucks that get driven daily/weekly.

Thanks for wishing me luck...I'm gonna need it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Got a long road ahead of me to make the thing driving again.