Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making a 6" shackleflip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 6, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

making a 6\" shackleflip

`I was thinking of making me a shackleflip. any reason why i couldnt make it 2" longer for 6" instaed of 4" ? i figure theres got to be a reason why no one has done this yet but i couldnt find it in the search. i have 2" blocks for saggy butt probs but i want to lose them.

comeon payday I hate being stuck in the garage.

69k5

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Re: making a 6\" shackleflip

Echobit's is a 6'. Or you can use the ORD one wiht longer shackles. Just make sure teh shackles are strong enough.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i was thinking echobit was 4"as well. i still cant find the post that had the specs to the echobit flip in it. i know i was looking at it a little while ago.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Echobit is 5 3/4"

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It has something too do with location/angle if I remember correctly. It may cost a few bucks more, but I think the better choice is ORD's 4" Shackle flip + either 2" or even 3" rear lift springs. If your factory rear springs are sagging, replace them.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It has something too do with location/angle if I remember correctly. It may cost a few bucks more, but I think the better choice is ORD's 4" Shackle flip + either 2" or even 3" rear lift springs. If your factory rear springs are sagging, replace them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lift springs are stiffer than factory springs and expensive. There is no sense replacing a perfectly good set of springs if you can put new bushings in them and fab the mounts to achieve optimum ride height.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind that in order to get 6" of lift it will have to be 4" longer than a 4" flip kit.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lift springs are stiffer than factory springs and expensive. There is no sense replacing a perfectly good set of springs if you can put new bushings in them and fab the mounts to achieve optimum ride height.

[/ QUOTE ] Makes perfect sense to me. I prefer the parts that are proven too work, and too get a 6" or 7" lift in the rear, I like the idea of the ORD 4" Shackle Flip + 2" or 3" lift springs. Should flex well, simple to install, no guess work. Makes perfect sense to me. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, but spending $300+ on a lift spring and $200 for ORD's flip doesn't make sense to some people if they can fab up something in there driveway for 1/5th the price. With some steel some labor and some fairly cheap parts you can be on your way to a 6" shackle flip. Or even saving money on the shackle flip by using Sky's flip. $500 is $500

Throw a 2" add a leaf in your spring pack, flip the bottom leaf over, new bushings, and either a homebrew flip or a Sky flip and you have a 6" flip for alot less price.

Harley

10. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I got a 2" LOWERING shackle, and did my flip, and it matched my front 6" softrides. I had to rotate the rear axle about 10 degrees or so, in order to fix the weirdass driveline angle, IIRC.

PS - shackle cost me $70 @ Chux Trux and my hanger is the front hanger from the rear springs off of an '80 C10

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya, but spending $300+ on a lift spring and $200 for ORD's flip doesn't make sense to some people if they can fab up something in there driveway for 1/5th the price. With some steel some labor and some fairly cheap parts you can be on your way to a 6" shackle flip. Or even saving money on the shackle flip by using Sky's flip. $500 is $500

Throw a 2" add a leaf in your spring pack, flip the bottom leaf over, new bushings, and either a homebrew flip or a Sky flip and you have a 6" flip for alot less price.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ] I understand that, but what if your stock rear springs are worn out ?? Lot of "what if's" come into play.

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i lost this post for a while. i tyhink i am gonna make a honebrew shackleflip. ive looked at about 6000 pictures and dont see where it will be a problem. i will get a front rear hanger to get the basic dimensions and then fab one up. if it works ill post all the specs up. it will take me a little while though. thanks for all the tips. anyone know what the driveline angle should be?

thanks

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

[​IMG]

Front Hanger

[​IMG]

Front Rear Hanger From a 1980 Chev 4x4

[​IMG]

The 63's are new, but they are stock height. I've gotta have at least 6" lift, the back end clears the 42's pretty well. Theres no body lift.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pics. I didnt relize that you didnt have to cut the bottom out of a front rear hanger also. the secondary support bracket(back side) did it come off of with the hangar or was it left over from the original? and lastly did the bottom hole there line up or did you just butt the bracket up?

69k5

[​IMG]

Front Rear Hanger From a 1980 Chev 4x4

15. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

The bracket came with the front hanger (you can still see the rivets in the bottom), and it butted up to the frame just fine, and the 1 factory hole matched up.

You wouldn't have to push your hanger so far back if you just use stock rear springs. Mine are 12" longer than stock.

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i will be running stock rear springs. isnt realy much need for flexing in the mud in louisiana. thanks for the help.

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif