Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a '79 a full vertable Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, May 23, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Making a \'79 a full vertable Q\'s

Does the bracing just need to be from behind the front seats up and all the way up the fire wall? Basically, how far to the front does the bracing need to go? Right now, it's braced so that basically, the whole floor isn't going to bend. Wish I had some pics...

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Making a \'79 a full vertable Q\'s

Full cage tied into the windsheild header . What your trying to do is keep the truck from bending between the door frame. With a full cage tied in there your putting the strength back in that you lost when the top comes off. That's the easiest fix.
    On mine I Put a peice of tube up into the A piller tied to my rocker nurfs. Blind nuts into the kick pannel. I was replacing rusted out rockers and rocker boxes so I was in there. It would be masive work on your truck if it's rust free to do it that way.
    Best thing I can sugest is get the rear secton of the cage built and ready to install. Take the doors off and weld a bar accross the door opening to the pinch weld under the weather stripping. That will keep the body allinged while you cut off the top and get the roll bar in and tied to the windsheild frame. Then once that's done you can remove the bar and shouldn't have any problems with the body getting distorted.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grim,

If GM engineered the body of a full convertable to be strong enough with the rocker boxes wouldn't having box tubing for rockers already be a strength improvement? The box tube would have to bend before the door opening could close up and sag without the steel half top.

Am i missing something?

Rene

4. muddin4fun

But this is not good news grim! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I've got it braced so it won't bend as if you were to take the front of the truck and bend it towards the back of the truck.

5. Grim-Reaper

Yeild and MT Pockets!!!! your expertise requested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The full converts had that full rocker box that went from the inside of the rockers to the rib down the middle of the floor. In the front it attached to the floor right before the floor joined the fire wall. In the rear it attached to a floor cross base just in front of the wheel well. It bridged off the front cab mount as a fulcrum point. Turned the whole floor into a box section.
    I don't know that the square tube rocker is going to be able to apply enough leverage on the A-Piller to stop it from try inth to lean back. The factory set up pretty well used the hold floor section and still had sag problems. Fir the rocker to work It would have to be welded all the way around where the A-Pillar meets it including removing the front fenders to weld it where it would be hidden to be able to take a tennsion load in the direction it's going to want to bend.
    I know when YeildtoMe cut the roof on his 90 it started jamming the doors and were talking two day's of street driving not any trail. Then he had to put some jacks under the floor to get it back in alingement and put the braces off the roll cage. Now I know he did the same rocker trick but I don't know if he did it before or after he cut the roof off. Maybe he or MT pockets who also did the conversion will chime in here and share some actual experiance with this.

6. Grim-Reaper

Have any pictures so I can see where it's tied in? I imagine if it's done right it would work.

7. muddin4fun

Ya, I'll get some pics. It'll be a while cause I don't have a dig cam /forums/images/icons/mad.gif so I'll prolly pm you a link whenever I get it on my site

8. topless1tonk5

topless1tonk5 Registered Member

Re: Yeild and MT Pockets!!!! your expertise requested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 1990 with a full cage and a full coner't conversion, your fine driving a few days without a cage after you cut your top off but dont go wheelin. DO NOT tie the cage into the windsheild frame without soft bushings or it WILL crack you winsheild when you get crossed up.