Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a 79 blazer 100% convertable....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Oct 20, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Here is my plan for when it warms up. Im going to remove my top. However, as you know I still have the cab top since I have a 79. I dont like that as well and want to go full topless. I already figured out where to make the cuts to do it. That way the top removes in two sections and is actually more managable. The back "camper cover" would remove first and then the top cab section last or it could be left on. I was looking around for gaskets to water proof my concept. But then I got to thinking that there are companies that make convertable kits for pickups. I remember a friend in 92 making his toyota low rider a convertable using a kit. It seems harder to do than with the blazer since with the blazer there is no back glass and no seal across the entire back. Back to my point....I got sidetracked... Is there a kit that you have seen for a 79 to have a convertable top like the 73 and earlier? That would be sweet.

If not I'll just wing it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):)

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Right here is the only kit I know of. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

3. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Haha..I about died laughing. Yep thats the kit I was thinking of. That and a cutoff wheel.

However, I thought I would see if there was a kit with instuctions before I started hacking away! Hence the post.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dear lord, yet another 2nd gen getting its head cut off! meh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

No one makes one for a Blazer, but US Body Source makes one for a truck for $800 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. If you feel like chopping the back off of a new piece of fiberglass I'm sure it'd work. US Body Source Truck Convertible Cab

And don't forget that you MUST reinforce the cab before you chop anything or else the A pilar will cave in and the doors won't align properly or even close at all.

6. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I'm going to do a very similiar operation to m 80, but what I did is found a 74 body that was hammered and pulled the doors and windshield surround. I'm going to (When I can get my body guys help) cut the cab off at the factory seams and simply (LOL) weld in the 74 windshield surround, and wellah, full top. Then if you want to put an aftermarket cab on, you've already got the stock gaskets. LMC Truck has replacement gaskets and US Body Source has the fiberglass cabs. I just picked up another 74 witht the idea of doing a short wide bed p/u with an extended cab (long wheel base frame) and convertable top. Who knows if it will ever happen... There is a guy that did this and wrote up an article in the tech section of CK5 but I don't have time right now to go find it. I have to go to work. Hope that helps.
    T-roy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif DOES IT COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS !!

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my "73" is actually an 87. I bought it partially converted. They guy i got it from actually cut all the spotwelds from the firewall up and changed in a firewall from a 73. A little more work than I would have done! I was just gonna change the upper part of the windsheild frame. I had to "roll" the top of the qtr panels and box them in. not a big deal. I had a set of 73 doors, but sold them and hacked up a set of aftermarket doors. (didn't want to trash original parts when wheeling) You just gotta make sure you reinforce the body. The 73-75's had "rocker boxes" that stiffened up the body. I put a full 10 pt. roll cage in mine, but others have run box steel under the floors inside the rocker panels.

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think these guys also make a kit for blazers (this is their Bling Bling Ford kit)
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I dig that tape windshield frame cap. "Built not bought" baby! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif