Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a M1009 a gasser...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by omahaAl, Jun 19, 2006.

1. omahaAl

omahaAl Registered Member

I’ve got a 86 M1009 (no diesel, th400, np208) that doesn’t have a motor and 2 possible organ donors. The first is a 79 350 gas with a th350 and a np203, and the other is a carbed 89 350 with a 700r4 and a np241. The goal is to have a vehicle my son can drive for the next 4-8 years. The M1009 is rust free with only 35K miles so it’s the best body/chassis/trans/transfer. I’m thinking of putting the 350 from the 79 into it since it’s pretty stock and doesn’t have any ticks (lifter noise). My question is about any need to put a different torque converter into the M1008. Is the stock diesel one too low a stall? The M1009s got standard sized tires and is geared 3.08. Will this be a problem? The car will be driven 90% in town and a little on the highway. It won’t be used to tow, pull stumps, or go mudding. I also know I’ll be getting into a little wiring. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for any help.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You'll need a new convertor and the wiring will be most tricky as the m1009 was 24v system the 350 only needs 12 so probably that will eat most of your time up. I gutted a buddies 6.2 for a 350 and it went pretty damn smooth

4. mrk5

I didn't have any problems with the electrical. Once the batteries are no longer connected in parallel, there's no more 24V. I just found a good wire for the distributor and one for the starter solenoid.

I don't like the fact that I now have a bunch of useless wires in the truck. All the stuff I don't need anymore, glowplug wiring and what not.

5. omahaAl

Mrk5,
    In your older post you suggested keeping the old diesel radiator. Are you using the engine oil cooler in the unit?
    Alex

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Information over load!

Here is what you need to convert electrical
    http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

Here is how to convert into a cab and cargo box.
    http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec62.pdf

weights and loading information.
    http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn12.pdf

I have a 1989 Jimmy 305 efi with rebuilt 700r 17 mpg on highway at 70 mph body swiss cheese. Runs fine motor is susposed to have 48,000 on it belive it to be true. I would trade it for the deisel motor and parts to convert my 87 from gas to diesel.

7. mrk5

No, I didn't use the oil cooler in the radiator with the 350.

I like the cooling capacity of the diesel radiator. I run a 185° thermostat and I have to completely block the radiator in the winter.

The only thing I don't like is tranny cooling line routing. Because of the oil cooler, the tranny cooler is on the opposite side of the radiator from where it exits the tranny. They come all the way across the engine bay to the other side of the radiator.

With the auxillary cooler I have mounted now, there's a lot of tranny cooler line. I plan to redo them in the future with SS braided lines. Instead of coming out of the cooler back the to hard line, I'm going to run a braided line straight out of the aux cooler back to the tranny.

It's not a big deal, just one of those detail things I don't like.

8. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

just so you know those gears....suck i've got them in my truck and hate them, even when i ran 31's the truck would feel like a dog.

The good thing is your son WONT be spinning the tires on pavement(unless its wet, realy wet) lol

BTW Never say it wont be in the mud... itll happen eventually trust me, im 16

9. omahaAl

About the mud... point well taken... I guess I'm trying to live in a dream world and keep forgetting I was once a teenager too. :)
    Thanks all,
    Alex