Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a new dash

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txhotrod, Aug 6, 2005.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

Ive got an idea... I want to cut out the complete factory dash in my 79 k5. Then fab up a new dash using 1" square tubing frame covered in sheet metal screws for a nice custom look. Full set of autometer gauges - the speedo( trail only ill put the saved money towards hydro assist). I want to come out 12" or so and then about a 45* bank about 7" long and then come back in about 3" for a finshed look. in the middle i want to drop it down all the way to the floor. Put a storage compartment with a lock about 4" tall then my cd deck then under that a switch panel simal to what is sold on 12voltguy.com. Full led rocker switches covered "milltary" switch to arm the winch, keyed ignition switch and kill switch under the dash to run all my acerosies and lights including headlights. Then on the pasenger side make a stealth glove compartment or just leave it solid.

I know that ill have to bring the dash low enough to let the brake light switch work properly, Is there anything else im forgetting? Im goin to be rewiring the whole truck so that wont be an issue. The steering colum was also something i had a concern about will I need to modify anything?

If any one has done anything like this I would apperciate your feedback and any tips or hint you may know of thanx.

Blazerkid( dads s/n)

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I built a custom dash for my blazer, and made it out of fiberglass. The nice thing was that I molded in guage pods for two small guages and a small 2-5/8 tach. I then painted it and it looks sharp. Too much to get into now, but if you are interested with this route, pm me and I can tell you how I did it.

3. txhotrod

Ive read your post i belive. Looked awesome but I was looking to use metal since i have most out the frame pices here @ the shop and have never done any glassing. I have drew it out and im workin on puting it in autocad. I hate the way the center of teh dash turns towards the driver instead of directly forward, so I wanted to make it flat and something someone's never done b4. It will be aluminium skined or stainless for the raw metal look. Thanx for the offer on the help with the glass but i dont see it happening but It might if i realize this wont work.

Blazerkid

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for a nice custom look, ditch the sheetmetal screws and weld it all in. smooth it out and paint it.

why not just leave the stock column support in, and leave the brake light switch alone? fabricate around it, its not that hard. in my derby truck i cut the entire dash out to make room for my crush bar. i still have the brackets and everything for the brake light switch in place. if the switch was there and hooked up, it would work fine.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that was probably my fiberglass dash you remember pics of..

there are a few that have done what you want... small square tube with the sheetmetal finish, i'll see if i can hunt down some pics..

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I've never understood the custom dash thing....... why bother?

Put the time & money into something to help you get down the trail :rolleyes:

In most cases a vacuum, some vinyl dressing, and glass cleaner will take care of most interior woes :D

7. ryoken

well if you prefer your stock idiot lights and gauges, so be it... i'd rather have accurate monitoring of my systems if i can...

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I can understand what you did with the gauges. But, txhotrod is suggesting cutting out the entire dash and building a new one form scratch. That I don't understand.

9. ryoken

the only time i would consider doing that it is when doing a cage... then its the perfect time... otherwise not worth it imo.. :D

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Heres my custom dash.
    [​IMG]
    :D :D :D :D :D :wink1:

11. ryoken

12. txhotrod

The point of teh dasj is to be a total on off but also for me to be able to remove in teh future with out a whole lot of work to modify for the cage. I also dont like the look of a clutered dash that has been hacked up be cuase of othe accesories that have been added. my dash and steerin colum were severy damaged when sum dass tried to steal my truck when they couldnt find the kill switch. It gonna cost 100 bucks in parts to repain teh dash with oe stuff from the junk yard. Dash cover where lihjy switch windsheild wiper switch, bezel, gagie cluster, cig lighted tray,glove box. Some of eh damaged happened when it was my dd when i had speakers in eth dash but thye couldn't get them out. Its more of a cuz i want to and can kinda thing. I wanna be diffrent and orginal. PLus being able to monitor my engine and rigs vitals would be nice instead of wainting to hear the oil pump scream cuz its low on oil. I now have a motor rebuild ahead of me as well as an tranny to fix.

Thanx for yalls support

Blazerkid(txhotrods son)

13. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Blazerkid(txhotrods son)

Are you going to have this finished by the Aug. 18-21St? If so i would like to take a look at how you completed it. I will be in Texas City during that time to visit family. Could you PM me and give me your address or Number. If not my cell number is 714-465-6319. Or email jeff@slattermotorsports.com

Would love to see what you did.

Thanks
    Jeff

14. short sub

short sub Registered Member

your plans for a dash sound almost like My dash is. i cut all the old stuff out until i just had the firewall sitting in front of me. Then a friend and I built a 1" square tube frame, bent 18 gauge sheetmetal on his break, and covered the frame with the bent sheetmetal. i have (4) 2 5/8" autometer gauges mounted btw. my two bucket seats and have alot more visibility this way. Sorry i cant scan of load the pics- but im always around in tx. doing rides here and there. Oct. 21-23 ill be in alto tx. its usually around 4-5 thousand ppl there having a good time. so far we have about 10-15 rigs going, check it out if you have the time. Oh i used rivets along the dash so it can go in and out easily and painted it custom FLAT black to match my rig- i wouldnt trade it for anything else man. Later Ryan

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Here is a dash I made for my old K5

[​IMG]

16. short sub

short sub Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005