Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a new fuel line - Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 16, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

When making a new fuel line from pump to carb, what kind of flares are on them? Is it single flare or double flare? What kind of fittings do they use? And should I get 3/8 steel tube?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: Making a new fuel line

When I did mine I just used 3/8" rubber line with hose clamps to hold it on. I assume you are talking about redoing yours factory style with the hard lines?

Also as a side note, there are a lot of people in your area that post in the Pacific region forum that can also help you out.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Re: Making a new fuel line

I had the rubber, didn't hold out on me. Didn't last two years, and I figure if the steel line lasted the other 24 years that this truck was around, then I should probably go back to that.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Come on, I've seen people talk about doing this before. Just need a quick explanation.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Use 3/8" tubing and double flare it. The fitting will be a regular tubing nut (this will probably come on the piece of tubing) since it will have a double flare.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your local parts store has ready made metal lines,all you have to do is bend them--if the length is wrong you can shorten a longer one by wrapping it around a pipe and make a coil like a spring in it (like the ones in your brake lines at the master cylinder)and they have threaded couplers available so you can put two lengths together to make whatever length you need--flaring the tubing can be frustrating,even with the right tool,especially double flares--I use the ready made ones.Be aware they will last nowhere near as long as the stock lines did.My tranny lines I just replaced in january are already rusty--I even painted them before installing--didnt help much!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

3/8" with a double flare fitting.
    or like said above, get the ready made line closest in length.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys, but I haven't found much at the local stores. I guess I'll have to expand my search and find a real parts store, not the ones that are trying to sell everybody scooters!