Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a power-tank from outdated scuba tanks?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TopOff, Dec 31, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Anyone think of this, or done this already???

Curious about as there is a scuba shop near my house. I know they have outdated (apprantly tanks get thrown-out or recycled every couple of years or so) tanks that they are changing out. I imagine I could pick one up cheap.

I haven't asked them yet, but I suppose the tanks with Oxygen are higher pressure than I would fill them with C02.

I doubt they would ever burst, as I had run one of those five gallon tanks for 4 years with no troubles, but it is looking pretty ragged and rusty. Hence, I took it out.

Opinions please?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't think there'd be a problem with it.....just the "aggravation factor" of having to source all the parts yourself.

Pretty sure I saw a post once where someone did it, and outlined the DIY costs vs. PowerTank.

Did you try a "search"? LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Nope, didn't try a search.. will try that now.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I went to my local welding shop.. You put a DEPOSIT of $90.00 down on a 20 PD tank.. Then you just take the tank back and they give you another one right then you don't have to wait for it to get refilled. I then went to a HVAC supply store and bought a regulator for it.. I have less then $200.00 into mine...

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Well I went back a year, and only found two postings in my search of ALL forums.

I went to Yahoo, and found quite a bit of info.

Apparently the people who have POWERTANKS love them. The people who have York compressors, LOVE THEM and HATE powertanks because the powertanks freeze at the regulator.

I guess, I will be looking for a York compressor... someday... along with my 20 other projects /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I thought it would be cheaper/quicker easier to get a used scuba tank. Apparently not.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the tank has a date on it and has to be tested before that date, so becareful on the old tank ideal...

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Kewl, thanks.

Did you get that Dana 60!?!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

No....I e-mailed a couple of guys and thought it was the guy with a dana 60, but it was a winch...damn, I even had the wifes Ok on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I know....

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a link somewhere I got from the net but not from this forum, I will find it and link it for you guys, it gives detailed instructions on what you need and where to get it from. As for tanks, I get the 20lb from HTP for $80 a piece new shipped to my door and I am getting one soon. All the regulators and miscelanious parts cost me about $60 so it's all under 150 total.
    The link also lists a source for aluminum tanks but the smaller 5 or 10 lb tanks for cheap.
    Now the air tanks I would check on the pressure rating before I would buy.
    CO2 is at 1500-2000 PSI in liquid form, the tank has to be rated at that much.
    Air is no more than 250PSI IIRC.
    Check on the bottles before you buy and go down to Praxair on POWER INN ROAD and FOLSOM and ask them. They can tell you if the rating is enough.
    I will be doing some more research this week so if you want to wait till the week end, I will get you the info.
    Where is that place you mentionned TOPOFF? maybe we can go there this week end and check them out.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

There's a little scuba shop in Folsom (the city!). At East Bidwell and Riley. (not sure if your familiar with the area...

I work right by PRAXair. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Here is the link, and by the way this club is in the bay area too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    CO2 Tank DIY
    Any other questions, let me know, I also have lots of research on ONBOARD AIR, as well as many links.
    I am doing both setups one on each vehicle of mine to compare. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Each is costing me under 150 total. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I think I will do the on-board air compressor thing instead... someday. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can help you out with that setup.
    Just go to Pick n pull and get a VOLVO york air compressor. It's the highest in CFM's and we'll make a mount for it and the rest is about $90 total.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I better get my list ready while I go to the yards...

Which Pick and Pull yard do you go to??? There's like what?!?! Five of those around! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I have been thinkin of the scuba tank thing. I have a tank and misc regulators/ fittings from my tournament Paintball playing days /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. IIRC they fill the scuba tank to 2000psi. If you reg that down to 90-100psi it should last a while.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's another link that might help, Powertank . I got this off of PBB about three weeks ago, there was a pretty good thread on there with a lot of ideas. You may want to search over there. When I get over then in about an hour, I'll take a look for it also.

18. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just this week we did a booty fab power tank..my room mate went down the Serria Air Gas and picked up a 20lb CO2 tank...and we had a bunch of old oxy/settleing regulaters layin around..and also some argon ones..well what we did was take the fitting off the argon valve and screwed it into to a Oxygen valve and then put on a normal quick relase adapter that would would have on a air hose and then we had a cheepo power tank for under 100 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I go to the one in Rancho cordova it's the closest to me.

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The argon tanks are good ones these are the ones I am buying from HTP these are for CO2 or ARgon.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif