Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a snap top a rail top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, lots of us want soft tops but they're all either overpriced or out of business or want us to butcher our rigs with snap holes. Why don't we just accept that right now the readily available thing (sultans and lottery winners excluded) is the snap top? Then we can get on to dealing with it. Why not just make some angle brackets as long as the bed rails that bolt to the hardtop holes and have all the snaps mounted to them down along side the body where the snaps are supposed to be? For the tailgate, just get a straight strip of metal, mount all the snaps to it and use two-sided tape to attach it to the tailgate. That would be a lot like the Can-back. I don't know how this would affect the mounting of the bows, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It would just have to be planned so that the snaps were close enough to the intended locations that the top would still seal and look right.

Questions, Comments?

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I dont know about the later style trucks, but the only snaps I had to drill were in the windsheild frame and the tailgate. I have the rail setup your talking about, it screws to the bedside with self tapping screws. Tell me what you want to see and I can get pictures. Even if my body was somewhat decent I would still rather drill a few holes. Lots of screws spread out over the length of the rail will secure it more evenly than a few bolts in the stock holes. Just drill the holes. Take your time, measure twice and use RTV on the screws. My top has been on for a year and theres no rust around the holes, and NJ used a ton of salt last winter.</font color=blue>

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, that idea is great, but its waaay simpler to just get hold of an old hardtop and cut it to make the frame. It bolts on into the same holes, it is very sturdy when installed, fits perfectly, and is very easy to remove to put the hardtop back on. Then you drill and install the snaps into it, the only ones that are in the body are across the tailgate. Then you get a roll bar made up to go over the rear seat, or not if you prefer not to, and run the truck down to the local boat top sewing shop, and they whip you up a top to custom fit. It costs you around 3-400.00, and is exactly what ya want.
    Sound like I am talkin from experience?? I am. Check out mine at <a target="_blank" href=http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper>http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper</a>

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>