Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a trade for a 14FF!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Mar 14, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well I am finally going to step into the zone. I made a trade for a 14ff with a posi and a d44. I have 5X315/75/16 Good year mtrs, 1" body lift, ordered and on the way. I was wondering, all I should need is the u-joint for my driveshaft, maybe new u bolts, and what else?? I tried pullin a search but it took me 30 minutes to thumb through crap I didn't need. Also they have 3.73 gears, is this going to be a big problem, or can I drive it for a while till I can afford to change them out? Wish me luck. I shoud have them on within a month.

2. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

the 3.73 gears shouldnt be a big problem, iam running them right now with 35s and its more sluggish and eats up more gas then with 33s, but not a real big deal. Try to upgrade as soon as you can, and you will be happier with the performance.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think with the 4 speed, you'll be fine with the 3.73s. In fact, you'll probably be so happy with them that you don't bother changing. I have 4.10s and 38.5s on mine and I'm perfectly happy and don't see any need to change to lower gears.

If you do decide to go lower later, just find another set of axles with 4.10 or 4.56s later and sell your 3.73s. Look for an open carrier 14 bolt full floater next time so you can Detroit it.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sounds like your getting them for cheap or nothing but I have to ask, what kind of wheeling do you do?
    From what I know, the D44 is not much stronger than the 10B but if the gears are what you want then go for it.
    Just remember that if you really want it stong, you should be looking for a D60. As for the 3.73, I have 38.5's and 4:56 and I'm going to go 5.13 as soon as I can but mine is not a DD (I also have the 208). If you are going to ever go bigger with the tires, I would make sure the 14 is a FF for sure, make sure it's 1 ton not 3/4 and find a D60 instead of wasting my time with the 44 but that's just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.
    Bigger,stronger is always better /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. Remember that this site can save you money by keeping you from doing things twice if you whatch what the others are doing and ask.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI don't know, what do the rest of you guys think?

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would make sure the 14 is a FF for sure, make sure it's 1 ton not 3/4

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the 3/4 and 1 ton 14BFF were identical except the 1 ton has larger brakes and the spring perches would each need moved 1 inch out, and something about the shock mounts. If that's the case I would rather have a 3/4 ton that would bolt right in since a disc brake conversion will almost certainly be in the future making the bigger 1 ton brakes a non issue.

6. stallion85

The wheeling I do is mostly trails and rocks. I am not into the mud thing. I already have 3.73 on my 10 bolts right now. I am positive that the 14 bolt is a ff. He said there was a posi unit in it but he is kind of old so maybe he thinks it is and its a locker??? Am I right for telling if its a ff by the bolt pattern? I looked at the axle id chart on ck5 homepage and it is exactly the same.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

3/4 and 1Ton's BOTH used 14Bolt FF's and they are the excact same rear end except for the brakes, spring mounts, and shock mounts. If you want to dirrectly bolt a 14bolt FF in you will need a 3/4ton one.
    Also you will need a conversion U-Joint(I forget the number but you can get it from napa)and new U-bolts to fit the larger axle tubes.
    The Other 3/4ton 14bolt was a SF and it was also used in some 1/2tons(never in our syle trucks though)
    and the easyest way to tell them apart is by just looking at the diff cover, how its asemertical, a 14bolt SF is almost a perfict oval.
    If you are running 3.73 in the front I would NOT change the 10bolt for the D44 its no stronger, I would just take the 8Lug hubs off it and put them on your 10Bolt.
    and if you REALLY want 4.10 gears you should probably look for a new rear end unless you want to re-build the one your geting.
    And as far as the "posi" I can almost gaurantee you if it dose have one at all its a gov-loc, wich if its not ragged out isent a bad diff in my book, Im running one now and couldent be happyer with it. But when I re-build my rear end im going with a detroit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. stallion85

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sorry, I've been gone....
    I totaly agree with Chevy 4WD. I didn't think about the disc brake conversion.
    I'm happy with my drums for now. Remember that the front breaks easier than the rear, that's why we all have D60's.
    One other thing is that if you ever want to go 4:56 or higher and get a 4:10, you will need a different carrier.
    Think now and save money in the long run.
    just my $.02