Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making a trailer from a 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scrubby, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about making a trailer out of an old 10 bolt rear and springs I have. Has anyone done this? I am wondering if I should/can remove the ring and pinion, or should I just fill it up with gear oil and leave it intact.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I know that you already have the axle, so it's free, but it will also weigh at least 200 lbs more than a real trailer axle. It's also a semi-floating design, while every trailer axle that I've ever seen has a real spindle and two tapered wheel bearings, like the front of a 2WD truck. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Check around and see if you can pick up a trailer axle on the cheap.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm surprised no one has suggested a 14 bolt ff yet! Isn't that what is recommended anytime someone talks about a 10 bolt?

In all seriousness, I'd imagine you could get the 10 bolt to work - whether that involves taking some internals out, I'm not sure. But, like HarryH3 said, you have a less than ideal axle for the application. Maybe try swapping it at a junkyard for an actual trailer axle. Just a thought.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

if you figure out a way to do it, you could probably sell them. That would look way cool if you had to pull one behind your rig...a trailer with a pumpkin. Too bad you can run a drive shaft to the trailer...talk about a Jackknife...

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, there are lots of guys running pickup boxes for trailers around here with diffs of varying sorts under them. The drawback is as mentioned: the weight. The benefits are a few more: Readily available, weight carrying, able to bolt on the same wheels and tires as your rig, liftable to the same hieght as your rig, spare parts shared with your rig, the possibility (if the system is intact) of running trailer brakes, and above all else... the cool factor of running a duplicate truck box painted, lifted with wheels and tires or whatever to match the truck. You do have to leave all the internals intact I think... the axles rely on c clips held in by the carrier, and the pinion seals the front. Beyond that... I cant see much wrong with running this setup...

Mike

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I have a 12 bolt (5 lug) and want to change mine to a trailer axle (6 lug) as mentioned befor it is cheaper to run what you have, But there is more to break on a truck axle compared to a trailer alxe. Weight is always a draw back also (gas milage) while towing it. You can get a trailer axle without trailer brakes for about $175.00 ready to bolt on. Someone said that you could hook up the brakes on the truck axle. I will cost cash to due this, the you'll have to convert to electric cyclenders. When I can justify the cost of the new axle I'm converting to the trailer axle.

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thinking about doing the same thing. Redneck camper, not quite as red as Grim's, though.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have used a Dana 44 rear under a pickup box trailer (stock axle on the 63 GMC that I made the trailer from). I pulled the ring gear but left the carrier to sling oil to the bearings and pinion to keep the axle sealed then pulled all the brake hardware off and just ran a bare axle flange. It worked great and made a trip from Oregon to Alaska with no problems.

On another note if you want real trailer axles with electric brakes I have a pair of mobile home axles and 5 rims/tires (2 new tires) for sale for $200 and will be making a trip thru Boise in October...