Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making an amp?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 27, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Anyone ever made your own amp? It couldn't be all that difficult, I've considered trying to do it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Unless you know alot of electoric and how to work with the power of it... You will probably have more time and money in getting the parts and making it then it would be just to buy one.. then you would also have to work out how you would get it to disapate heat, theres alot more involved in amps then one might think...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm good with electronics but I wasn't thinking of actually designing the circuits, but rather getting schematics and putting something together. Probably more for fun than actual use.

Tim

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

yea if you can get a schematic for one and the parts then you could built the same thing... But there are alot involved with amps.. Could be fun to see if ya could do it.. i myself dont know enough about electronic so i wouldnt build one.. but i know alot about how amps themselves work.. let me know how it goes on building one..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not planning on it any time soon, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever done it.

I know about transistors and stuff and how to make an amplifier for electrical signal, the key would be how to make one that worked right with sound, low distortion, no clipping.

Tim

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think the most challenging thing would be finding a schematic that will be good enough to actually build from.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's true.

Tim

8. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I have upgraded my amp with better mofets. Forrest Mimes handbook is a book full of schematics for building things like amps. the company NTE is a good supplier for IC circuits and mosfets.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</A>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I built a little 15W amp in High School for an Electronics project. Well it worked ok, I had it driving a 6" in a POS box I'd built behind the seat of my 1/2 ton I drove then. Improved the system over the 2 - 3 1/2" 's in the dash. But anyway it ended up losing one of the channels about 5 months later, never took it apart to find out why. Anyway with the price of cheap amps your probably better off buying a jensen or something cheap, you'll spend a lot of time, money, and frustration into building your own and the quality may not even be as good as the cheap amps you can buy. (not to degrade your ability, I mean dealing with parts, and heat extraction, etc.)
    Just my .03 cents

Like em big and topless

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was just supposing I could make something of BETTER quality when I posted this.

I already have 3 amps to my name--I really don't need any more.

Tim

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Tim, if you plan on soldering one together do a non-mosfet design. Much easier to do.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]