Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making Battery Cables using welding cable ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, May 13, 2002.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am making some battery cables for my winch. I need to know how to attach <a target="_blank" href=http://www.weldersmall.com/listings/27854/t46.jpg>this</a> lug to the #2 welding cable. Do I need a special crimping tool or can I use pliers or can I solder it???

2. BINDERMAN

BINDERMAN Registered Member

SOLDER THAT THING, NOTHING BETTER!!!!

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

They do make special crimpers, we have a couple sets here at work. I suggest soldering it, then putting heat shrink tubing over all except the exposed part you need.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

OK, you say solder it. What is the best way to do that? I have soldered thing before and it does not seem to hold very well.

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

If your solder joint didn't hold then that means that it was a cold solder joint. You didn't get the workpiece hot enough. You would probably be better off using a small torch to heat the end, then apply the solder, it should "suck" itself into the wire and connector. When you're done, the solder joint should be kinda shiny, not dull and white/grey. If it's dull, then it is more than likely a cold joint and won't hold well.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I would not recommend soldering. Solder will make an awesome electrical connection, true. The problem is, that connection will not hold up to vibration very well at all. Borrow a good crimper from an electrician, then heat shrink over the top. HTH

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Daniel,

Just use a small torch and heat the fitting to red hot. Then melt some solder inside it. Keeping the fitting hot, barely heat the wire end then quickly install the end. Be careful not to get burned by excess solder leaking out of the fitting. Let it dry and youre done.

8. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I've never had a problem with solder joints and vibration. Where have you seen this? I've used solder for years on my trucks and four wheelers, the only problem I've had was with some old, crusty wire. After the wire was moved around a bunch, it broke just behind the solder joint. I've never had a problem using good wire, though. I'm not saying it can't happen, just haven't seen it. Give me some more details, I may need to rethink the way I do things.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to do the solder thing for now and if I have any problems, I can always go back using a crimping tool and make new cables.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

when I built my new battery cables for my dual battery setup, I crimped the connectors AND soldered them. Seemed to me to be the best setup. Has worked good so far!

11. FWP

FWP CRS

That's where the break usually occurs, right where the solder ends and the unsoldered wire meet. I work in the semiconductor business, I work on a lot of moving equipment, robots and such. Over the years, I've had alot of problems with the wire breaking, even though the heat shrink was over the top. It works ok, if the part you're attaching it to doesn't move very much, and you secure the joint to the part. Solder would probably hold up to a winch connection, but I have my old habits that I use. Belden makes a really cool wire called "Infinity" supposed to be able to flex over a million times and not break.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is a problem in hi vibe areas. It is a real big deal on aircraft. Solder is made to be an electrical bond, not a mechanical one. Crimping gives a strong mechanical joint but allows the oppertunity for corrosion to start. If you have the proper crimper and dies I would crimp it. Then either heat shrink, cold shrink, or wrap with self-vulcanizing (F4) tape.

13. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

If you are still worried about conductivity could you crimp it first and then use a little solder also?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes you could, but if you use the right crimper/die set you woulden't have any problem. If you just smash it w/ a hammer or a vise some solder wouldn't be a bad idea.

15. BINDERMAN

FWP KEEPS TALKING ABOUT BREAKAGE BEHIND SOLDER, THATS WITH SINGLE STRAND WIRE NOT CABLE(BRAIDED). GO OUT TO YOUR SHOP AND SEE HOW YOUR 200 AMP WELDER CABLES/LUGS ARE ATTACHED INSIDE (SOLDERED I GARONTEE!). IF YOU WANT TO PROVE IT TO YOURSELF MAKE UP YOUR CABLE WITH ONE END SOLDERED AND ONE END CRIMPED AND THEN USE IT AS AN EXTENSION FOR YOUR WELDER AND SEE UNDER HIGH AMP WELDING WHICH ON STARTS TO SMOKE DUE TO THE MASSIVE RESISTANCE THE CRIMP HAS CREATED. I WOULD RATHER TWIST WIRES TOGETHER AND TAPE OR USE WIRENUTS THAN CRIMP ANY CONNECTION. I HAVE REPAIRED 95 THOUSAND DOLLAR VERSATILE EQUIPMENT (FARM TRACTORS)THAT WOULDN'T RUN DUE TO FAULTY CRIMP FROM FACTORY. I USE SILVER SOLDER, LOW MELT TEMP AND VERY STRONG. SOLDER THAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

The parts house where I bought my #2 Crimped the end on and heat strunk it for me for free have'nt had any problems yet

17. FWP

FWP CRS

Why I think you should YELL LOUDER! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif In case you didn't know, typing in all caps is like YELLING to get your point across. Also, fill out your profile.

I'm sure you feel comfortable with your method of doing things. I have my method. I was stating my opinion, and stick by it. I said nothing about single strand. In fact, I was referring to multi-strand. I'm not going to argue over this issue. I wanted to reply to you because you are being quite rude.

18. BINDERMAN

Sorry if you thought i was yelling, my typeing skills are poor at best. Easier to leave caps on than to go back and fix all my mistakes, wasn't trying to make anyone mad. like you said the posts i reply to are only my opinion, you can take it or leave it. Just think of things today without the internet, and the ease of asking a guestion and getting an opinion from all over the world. Again was not trying to make anyone mad with the CAPS thing just lot easier when you hunt and peck, took to many ag classes in high school should have taken 4 years of typing also. Sorry from Texas

19. FWP

FWP CRS

No sweat dude./forums/images/icons/smile.gif I was having a bad day, trying to get my cab mounts replaced. Sorry too. Peace bro!

20. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

YAH WE TEXAS FOKS NEVER LERNDED TO TYPE RITE.