Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making Bumper Stickers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I have this really cool CAP patch that I want to make into a sticker for my truck (and sell to some other people who want one too), so I went to Office Max and bought this expensive bumper sticker paper and made the patch look like a sticker with Photoshop, and printed a sheet of em... But the ink was all splotchy and not very dark... so it became my test sheet... Dad came home and showed me how to make it print darker, so I have a sheet drying now that's perfect...

The problem is, when I sprayed clear coat on one of the stickers to seal it and protect it from the rain, it faded the colors... Now the blue on the beret looks grey, the yellow looks white, and the black looks... well, that didn't change much...

Anyone got any info on how to seal the ink up so it doesn't fall off in the rain??!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

how about laying a sheet of clear vinyl over it??

how large is the sticker?? i might be able to get you some clear vinyl..

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

send the design to jeff at lyons design and see how much he would charge to make them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

How do I find Jeff and Lyon's Design??

I tried going around town to the different sticker shops, and the lowest price I got was $10 a sticker /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

For $10, I got 6 sheets of paper that hold 9 of the patches each... Even if I screw up 3 sheets before I get it right, I'll save hella money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

nice job.. if you want to try some clear i can get you a sample piece and send it to you if you like.. no charge. just PM me your address and i can drop some off in the mail by monday..

if it works you can get some at a near by sign supplier the sells vinyl..

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How do I find Jeff and Lyon's Design??

I tried going around town to the different sticker shops, and the lowest price I got was $10 a sticker /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

For $10, I got 6 sheets of paper that hold 9 of the patches each... Even if I screw up 3 sheets before I get it right, I'll save hella money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

was that for an overlay job or a single print decal??

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I'd like a sample of the clear vinyl if you could... I'll PM you my info...

The $10 was for an overlay, They apperantly don't do prints unless it's a huge order... But whatever... I'd like to do it myself anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

cool sent you a pm.. i'll have some out to you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so what is the NBB?

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's the coolest thing I've ever done /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

it's a CAP national activity, which means people from all over the country and Puerto Rico who have been to a basic encampment (our extremely toned-down 10-day version of Basic Training) can apply to go... Only 100 or so people who apply get accepted, so it's kind of an elite thing to get to do... Expensive too...

Anyway, those that get accepted pay their way to Oshkosh, Wisconsin and spend 2-3 days being trained on properly marshalling aircraft, tour Whittman Field where the EAA annual fly-in is held every year (about 50,000 planes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)... Civil Air Patrol's job is mainly to marshal the aircraft to their proper place without running them into each other... It's quite a sight if you ever get to go to the fly-in... The only place you'll see 3 planes landing and 2 taking off at the same time...

Other stuff CAP does is sits in a tower and takes down the tail numbers of planes as they land and take off, so the EAA has a log of every plane on the field at any given time. Also, we cruise around on golf carts with an L-Per looking for ELT's (Emergency Location Transmittors) that are going off and tell the pilot to shut it off or die... Another thing is security. We stand by the warbirds and make sure no one touches the warbirds... That's where you get the really evil people who just glare at you and take their stupid picture. Security for the ultra-lights... When I did that, it was cloudy and windy, so that consisted of me and the 2 people I was doing it with chilling in the grass complaining about Charlie flight and how they were getting all the easy schedules while everyone else worked their butts off...

That's about it... About midway through the 2-week activity, there's a big ceremony where the berets are issued, and then towards the end, those that earn it get the St. Alban's Cross pin to put on the beret... To people who haven't done it, it doesn't seem like a big thing, but to those who go and work their asses off and earn the beret, it's an awesome feeling... Prolly doesn't compare to the real military, but it's good enough for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There's a big controversy in CAP that's probably never going to end about whether people who go to NBB should be allowed to wear the beret outside of the activity or not... Right now it's up to the Wing Commander (kinda like the governer of a state) to decide within his/her state, and most don't allow it... Like here in Wyoming... But we recently got a new Wing Commander, and he's leaning towards changing the policy so he kicks ass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/45926795QGGXSE There are some pictures of CAP-related stuff I've done... most of the pictures are from NBB...

12. mudhog

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way, I just tried another sticker after the ink was completely dry, and it actually made it look better... I guess there was a chemical reaction or something...

I'm still gonna try the vinyl though, might be even better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mudhog

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif jeff does work with people on what they want and is a good guy so what he Selle's is quality products /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif