Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making my K1500 a capable tow rig

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by beater_k20, Jun 1, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i have been kicking around the idea of selling my 91 K1500 to buy a diesel truck, 3/4 or 1 ton, to use as my DD, and as an occasional tow rig. as of right now, the K1500 is paid off, and runs great, only things its really lacking are a few minor cosmetics, and it will need a front CV shaft soon.

as of right now, its dead stock. 5.7 backed by a 700R4 and 3.42 gears (10 bolt out back). what mods could i make to this truck to enable it to handle the load of my 1 tonned K10 shortbox? i know a trans cooler (that's the reason i have the K1500, and not the 93 C1500 i had. towed a car, 2 days later the trans was done), a good hitch, trailer brake, and keeping it out of OD with a load on. would stepping up to 3.73 gears help it out any? what about tire size? i've currently got 245 75 16 Firestone Steelex Radials on it, and they're garbage. anything that even rhymes with rain on the road, and they dont have squat for grip. anybody got any ideas on how to imporve its capability, while maintaining good street manners, as i intend to drive it every day. of am i better off sticking to my original plan of selling it and buying a heavier diesel, even though it will cost me quite a bit more?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is its a single cab longbed? Wheelbase is a big factor. Upgraded springs of course I'd say. A nice trans cooler as you noted you have. 3.73s will definetally help. I'd step up to a 14bolt semi floater or even a full float 14 bolt converted with adapters to 6 lug. People don't realize till its too late but rear axle strength really is a factor in the heavy duty stuff. When you strip the teeth off a 10 bolt pinion cause you overloaded you get it. My tow rig is a 97 C2500, with heavy duty trans(4l80E), 8600 GVW, 14 bolt semi float rear, 3/4 ton rear 63" springs, and the Vortec 350. I'd sell it to you really /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I don't think its nearly enough truck for me. Sounds like you plan to tow less than I do. Small block power and 3.73 gears and all its just not the stellar tow rig I wish I had. I will make it work for me I guess. Mind you I'm picky and well trailering more often and heavier than sounds like you would be dealing with.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

thanks for the input sled dog.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Axle. Axle. umm. Axle. then, tranny, tranny tranny. I never upgraded it on my k5, towed for about a year. No negative side effects so far, I did use synthetic rear diff fluid, 3 tranny coolers, weight distribution hitch, anti sway, oil cooler, PS cooler, and a 4 row radiator and a 160 degree thermostat. K&N filter, hedders, exhaust.

Towed pretty darn good after all that! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My k5 towed great. Short add a leaves in the back, SM465, and a 355 with an RV cam it better have /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.