Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making my own brake lines and have lots of questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 16, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 14bff, it didn't have any brake lines on it...No problem! Then I decide to convert to disc brakes...So I need some help as to what I need to do...Obviously, I need to pick up some 3/16" brake tubing and bend it up to fit snuggly against the axle, right...But where can I pick up the pittings for the end? and what fittings should I use...I need the male fittings (the two above the differential that plug into the flexible hose from the frame) but what fittings do I need at the brakes? I would like to run the solid line to about the leaf springs and then run a flexible hose to the caliper. But what are the female fittings (both the name of them and the size) that I put on the end of the tubing for the short flexible hose to go into?

Now reading over that, I have managed to confuse myself and most likely others...So basically, I need the following:

1. What size fittings do I need for the rear brake line for the setup I described (solid tube along axle and flexible tube at the caliper?

2. Where can I find these fittings that i need?

3. What size brake tubing do I want to run...? Will running bigger-than-stock tubing cause me any problems?

Thanks for helping me out gang...

Chris

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the brake tubing we sell already has the ends on them. then just pick up a set of front lines for your flex pieces.

3. fortcollinsram

Don't I need different male ends to fit the female end on the flex tube? I thought that the female on the flex tube was bigger than the regular male end on the tube that usually plugs into the wheel cylinder?

Chris

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

let me go check, i have a extra line laying here...

** the brakeline off my 10 bolt caliper fit the rear line on the 14. **

5. fortcollinsram

Cool...Thanks Jermey...that helps out a lot...

Chris

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no problem, thats what we are here for. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you should be welding tabs that will hold a bulkhead style fitting the same as the front brakes use at the frame end.
    Rauncho and other sell a front bake line relocation bracket that would work for that

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

9. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The fittings are called Inverted Flare. It's cheapest to buy ready made lines from the autoparts store and bend them. If they are two long cut them and reuse the fittings. At Kragen by my house the long lines were cheaper than the short ones. If you cut them you'll need a double flare tool, they are really easy to use. I think the rear fittings are 1/4". You can get couplers and reducers if neccesary.