Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making my own HD tie rod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Langosta39, May 20, 2003.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

i was going to make my tie rod with some burly DOM tubing with some nuts welded to the ends to mount the TREs. I was reading 4x4Iron's website and they say that the TREs thread 3 INCHES into the tie rod. How do they do this, and how can I do this? Do they just use tubing that has the perfect I.D. then tap it 3 inches? I would like to figure this out because having the TRE supported all the way in would be way stronger and stiffer than just having 3/4" of thread holding it in. Or would it? Opinions please!

andy

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u might drop shane74 a pm about this... he made himself one recently...

j

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, 4x4 Iron's Rods are machined 3" deep with threads. Tim cuts the rods to length then sends them to a machinist and has them threaded for the style ends you want. He then cut and welds on another rod to the outside of the first rod if you order a sleeved rod. He just built mine awhile back. It is burly.

The TRE's thread down deep into the rod for maximum support and strength. He has told me that I might need to knock some casting flash off the end of the TRE's to get my Toe just right because they thread all the way in.