Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making my own high steer steering arms: what to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

k, i can get my own high steer arms made. for free with the exception of cost of material and maybe some drinks.

i know that the majority of them out there are made of steel. normaly high strength steel. BUT, would T-6 aluminum work for this as well? i know T-6 is strong. but is it strong enough?

he said he can use ethier but i was just curious if aluminum was used at all. i know that going from one inch of the thickness i normaly see out there to say inch and a .25 would be good.

any thoughts?
    grant

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I wouldn't trust any steering arm made out of aluminum. The thing would break pretty quickly and put you in a ditch. </font color>

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, thats what i was thinking. but i like to try anything in idea form before it gets past paper. i still got to draw them up and all.
    thanks for the input.
    grant

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I'm making mine out of 1.250" Steel so the equivalent alluminum would be like 3" or something. But I'm the master of overkill so...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, there are a lot of places I might use aluminum on a rig... but a steering arm isnt one of them.

j

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Grant, I work with these materials everyday and this is not the place for you to go to aluminum. It could be done but with 7075-T6 and then you would have to bush the holes with steel or bronze. The cost would be out of sight.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The fatigue life of Aluminum is what knocks it from consideration for a part like this. The number for Aluminum that Engineers use to calculate the fatigue life of a part is excatly half of the number used for steel.
    With the right alloy, like 7075 or perhaps 2024, it could be made to be strong enough. C5 Corvette front uprights are some forged aluminum alloy as are aircraft landing gear struts. Both are overbuilt and the obvious one, in theory, is checked regularly.

I'd use 1020 steel and use aluminum elsewhere to lighten the load.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My neighbor works at a plant that makes aluminum forgings for some military aircraft landing gear struts. After they're forged they're sent out to be heat treated at a plant that is certified to meet the mil-spec process. Then they undergo a 100% Rockwell hardness test. Having something like that done for a single part would probably exceed the value of my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I hear you can get a cool aluminum exhaust tip for a Civic, but that doesn't do us much good. Steering is not a good place to save 3lbs worth of weight. Stick with A-36 or better and accept the weight that comes with it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I made a few crossover arms and other items. In these applications I used 4150 steel. Lots better than 1018 coldroll.

This would be a good topic for a metallurgist to steep in.