Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making New Doors for 1973-1975 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Jan 22, 2003.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Guys...My 1973 K5 Blazer needs new doors and I'd like to know if you can use a 1973 pickup/suburban door and remove the top part of the window frame so it can work on a Blazer with a fully removeable top. If you've done this or know someone who has, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Diana

[​IMG]

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That's how the factory did it. You should be able to use your existing doors for a template.

3. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Tim...thanks for the information..

Diana

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thats what ya gotta do i did that to one of mine. i took a piece of cardboard and formed it around the frame and then took a marker and traced the frame. i use the screw hole for the vent window as a point to aline the template on the new door. the BIG mistake i did was i used a el'cheapo door and it doesn't line up for sh!t. just be sure you use a good qaulity door.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you remove the trim pieces that cover the upper and lower parts of the door frame you can actually see where the bandsaw cut the door at the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You can also use later model doors, but you might need to get the interior trim with them as it changed somewhere over the years. But the basic shape of the door was the same from '73-'91.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Don't forget to cut out the door handle re-inforcments from your old doors and weld them in your new ones. The Original factory doors were cut AND reinforced. There is a reinforcment plate inside that ties the outer/rear/inner side together, it's at the top/rear of the door. I just cut out the whole section of the door off from the outside, then carfully seperated the re-inforcment from the panel. Sandblast, weld, paint.
    When you cut the rear pillar, the top of the door becomes very weak, and installing and using a door handle that way will cause the door to warp (You'll be pulling the outer panel out with the handle). Believe me, I've seen many a '73-'75 K5 with really bad looking replacement doors because they didn't re-install the re-inforcment. And, once they tossed the old doors, there no way to get that re-inforcment back, no one makes them and I looked up the part number, it's not available anywhere in the U.S..

BlazerMan

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

On my '73 Blazer I had I used doors from an '84 truck.I swapped the window track assembly and the reinforcment plate from the old doors.The plates also give you something to screw the plastic cover that is above the outside handle to.Work fine.No problems.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hey Brady, why did you move the window tracks over? I'm about to cut down some newer doors for my '75, so any gotchas will be good to know about in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hay your back!
    Last time you posted you were moving. so where did you end up?

In addition to getting the top plate in to strengthen the door you need to watch out for what year doors you use. The outside and hinges are all the same but the inner door is different and a 80's door will not let your 73 door pannels fit. The door will bolt on and work fine. So if you plan to use newer used doors then get the door pannels as well. I think there were 2 changes. One was around 78 and the other was around 82.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one change, in 77 for ability of power doors to be made, 77-87 are second series doors, 73-76 first series doors