Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making one out of three

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5newbe, May 21, 2006.

1. k5newbe

k5newbe Registered Member

OK, I am new to this forum and have just purchased a new project. The subject vehicle is a 78 K5 Blazer. The front fenders, hood, rockers are toast. The rest of the body is pretty straight. It has a worn out 350-th350 combo in it that barely runs. I also have a 1990 Suburban donar vehicle. It has a nice front clip and doors with power locks and windows. I will obviously use that front clip and doors. It also has a good TB350 in it. No trans, but it was a 2wd 700R4. I also have a 3/4 pickup with DANA 60 axles and a NP208. Here lies the question. I am considering using the 3/4 ton parts on the blazer. If I do and I guess even if I don't, should I go with a 700R4 or stay wiht the TH350? What all needs to be considered. Xmember, drive shafts...

Will the Suburban fuel tank fit in the K5? I will need the fuel pump for the TB350.

Thanks,

Doug

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

3/4 ton did not come with 60's
    most likely a Dana 44 front
    700r4 and th350 are the same strength wise the r4 is a little longer IIRC.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

3/4 ton did not come with 60's
    most likely a Dana 44 front
    700r4 and th350 are the same strength wise the r4 is a little longer IIRC.

4. k5newbe

I assume someone did the DANA 60 swap on the 3/4 in the past, so they are there. I don't think the guy I got the truck from knew they were 60's. He bought it for his son and the son didn't want it. Anyway, I will be using the steering column and a lot of parts from the 90 suburban. What does anyone think about the 700R4. Should I use DANA 44 or 60. Mostly small town driving and playing on the beach. Yes, some big rocks.

Doug

5. k5newbe

BTW, Here is what I did today. Pulled the front clip off the K5. I was surprised there wasn't any wire hacking in the front. I didn't cut anything either. Took the A/C housing of the K5, I will be using the Suburban - the rear air hose. I took the hood off the suburban to see what I have to do about the hood hinges. Looks easy enough. I started stripping the wiper motor parts from the suburban due to using the shorter hood. I like the bumpers on the suburban and will use them. Steering column is next, along with the seats and console. I plan to use the brake booster from the Suburban, are there any surprises in store? I have not switched the doors yet, but need to trace down the wires and see if I can find a connector so I don't have to cut and splice them. I asume others have done this swap and I have a copy of the posting describing it, but are there any major things to watch out for? I have a lot of hack job welding to remove on the K5. I don't plan to do this as a frame off as I have done others, because this one will get dirty.

Doug

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did a 1978 to 1984 front swap in 1991 and was EASY!!!! then went to the 1987 front style.....

another cool thing on the 1978 to 1990 that you are looking to do is the column swap.... I love having the wipers and highbeams on the column now!!! :bow:
    one of the best upgrade mods I have done... cant get the squirters to work.. not sure why... but I got a toggle switch in for that... :haha:

7. k5newbe

Thanks for the encouragement. I am excited about geting this going. I am going to forgoe all the extensive restoration I have done on previous vehicles to drive this one.

Doug