Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making Paint Stick To CHROME

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. besides really scuffing the hell out of it with sand paper, is their any chemical treatment that you can make paint stick to chrome with. I have some chrome parts that I want black. Chrome does not look good to me on a 4x4. I can sand the hell out of it and spray bomb it, but it usually chips after 6 months or so. Any better ideas?

Thanks
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure, but I think you could powercoat it coulnd't you? I don't know the process so I don't know if you need to remove the piece and/or how large of a piece they can handle (like a bumper or something). But I remember reading an article in Hotbike and it pretty much looked like it sticks to anything (and makes it hard as hell!)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

My auto body buddy says that sand blasting and zinc chromate primer will do it better than anything else. I agree with you, my '79 is blacked out. I made a new grill and bumpers for her and tore the trim pieces off.
    On a different note. Will that trac lock fit my '79 w/ 12 bolt, 3.73, 4.11 or 4.56? Do the gears matter? Will I need anything else to make it work? I want them.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You can use Muratic (hydrocloric) acid to eat the chrome off then prime it and paint.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

You might try Jasco Metal-etch, its an acid metal conditioner, used to prep for paint, welding, and to remove surface rust, (kind of like naval jelly, but its a liquid instead of a jell), you dilute it with water and wash down the metal with it, i metal-etched my small block before i painted it, no chips no peals no nothing. That might etch the surface enough for the paint to stick.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Glenn, I have a friend at Steinway Cycles in NYC that powder coats color on top of chrome gas tanks to produce distinctive flame jobs for custom Harleys. If your interested in knowing more about the process and the expense let me know and I'll get the information for you.

7. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

you can send it to a chrome shop or any plating shop and they can remove it to the bare metal thats prob. your best bet

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Maybe you should ask some Ahmish people. You know, they paint cars all black and drive them around sometimes.[​IMG]

Not sure Dep, COuld you sand blast the chrome?

Good luck.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

9. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Hey Dep,

I like the chrome/metal plating shop idea for stripping. Maybe this will help but you'll have to do some shipping maybe. This info is a little old. I reviewed this company's operations for my firm, a few years ago. Real neat outfit outside of Washington, DC. They do the plastic coating like you see on metal lawn furniture and as the name implies, can strip most anything. Watched 'em strip a brand new car that'd orange peeled or something, right down to the metal. Beware, it they're still in biz, the names may have changed:

American Stripping Company (ASCo)
    Ken Felix, VP-Sales; email: kfelix@erols.com
    James E Sejd (pronounced SAID), President; email: jsejd@erols.com
    703-368-9922
    703-631-0570 (Metro)
    FAX: 703-368-6573

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>