Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making Speaker Boxes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Polaris, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I have killed the little speakers in my dash /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. My K5k has no interior panels or factory rear speakers/door speakers. My Pioneer stereo came with 2 6x9's and I need something to put them in. I have read to use medium density board (is that a Home Depot type of thing?). What kind of carpeting is it covered with? Am I better off just spending $27 for a pair at Walmart? They even come with handles /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I thought maybe I could use velcro to attach the box to the wheel well, and be able to take it out for the mud drags. I don't need any super system, but enough that I can hear it over my tires with very little interior to deaden the sound. Thanks for your advice!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the $27.00 box's from Walmart would be the way too go. Yeah, you can make some for less money, but why bother if they're only $27.00 ???

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MDF isn't waterproof, so if that's what the Walmart boxes are made of, maybe put a couple coats of urethane on them before the carpet.

Carpet is easy, most stereo shops will sell that stuff off a roll, so just buy a yard or two depending on how much you need.

Also, polyfill (pillowstuffing) is great for inside the boxes. Put a pound of it (if that much fits!) into each one before the speaker goes in....it will help the sound to be less "wooden" sounding and will inprove the bass somewhat.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I've been informed of the reason why. CUPHOLDERS. Hubby has a cool idea for putting them kind of in front of the wheel wells & almost to the main hoop of my cage. Put the speaker on the side, facing the driver/passenger in front and a cupholder in the top. I bought everything that I need but can't find a solid cupholder that is suitable. I'll do more looking today. Wish me luck; I am no carpenter!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Thought about the same thing when I built my boxes.....mmmm cupholders. The subs in the location you describe make a great armrest for the rear set passengers, so it's a natural to try to put a cupholder in there.

I eventually discarded the idea because I couldn't afford to steal anymore interior volume from the enclosures, and the cupholder itself is made from such thin material that it wouldn't be appropriate for containing the pressure of the subwoofer....... for a set of 6x9's though, it sounds like a fine idea.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

That's why you build the cupholder out instead of in.

3-4 layers of scrap MDF cut to size with a hole cut out then sealed with some form of waterproofing and poof you have a cupholder. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Or just get some of those cheesy cupholders that hang from the window and screw 'em onto the box. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I bought the cheesy hanging kind figuring on cutting off the hanging part of it. But they are not solid and hubby brought it to my attention that drinks will sweat/spill into the speaker box. Ugh. I have another idea though. And it sounds like the carpet will be a <monster garage voice>FREEBIE</monster garage voice> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It will even match my interior! If it doesn't turn out too bad I will post pics.

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Greg, I really appreciate your input! If I run into any snags, I will certainly let you know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif In reading past posts during a search it sounds like you are the CK5 audio guru!

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Or just get some of those cheesy cupholders that hang from the window and screw 'em onto the box. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I really need more coffee this morning. I get it now. Just screw it to the side of the box when the box is done. Heehee. That will be my last resort!

10. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

That idea came to be because the PO did that with my blazer... he cut the hanging part off and screwed the cupholder to the sheetmetal right behind the cage for the backseat passengers.

Looks goofy but the kids enjoy having a place for drinks.

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

The Polyfill will also slow the air inside the box and essentially make the box seem "larger" to the speaker. Generally you can get a deeper response from a smaller speaker with it. Be careful not to over-stuff though... I have seen lots of folks use normal household insulation for the same type of effect but thats definitely not something I would recommend.

If you really want to take some time do build good water tight strong, light boxes, take a look into fiberglass. The box I made that fit behind my seat in my reg-cab was 3/4 fiberglass. I molded the amps into the box, counter sunk the subs and everything. Its not tough, just wear gloves, a mask and take your time. I used thin plastic to build the box on (draped it down the back and across the floor. It set up quickly (sometimes too quick) and if I made a mistake I just cut it out and re-glassed the hole. Perfect fit because it was made ON the truck. Then once you have the box made you can carpet it... or if you want to be really trick looking you can use body filler, smooth it all out and either paint it real nice or stretch some clean marine vinyl over it... thats my personal favorite... water tight, clean looking, strong as hell, light as hell, and completely customizable.

Oh... for added strength, I threw a few layers of chicken-wire in between a couple of layers of glass and glassed over it, that really helped keep everything in the shape I wanted too.

Just a thought

-Ryan