Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making stock 31g tank smaller

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I want to put the tank in the bed. But I dont like how big and bulky it is. I also dont need 31 gallons for wheelin. I dont plan to lower the height of it any, I just would like to make the width smaller.
    If I can get it clean enough and all of the gas fumes out to cut and weld on it. What problems might I run into sending unit wise??
    What guage metal should I use to seal it back up??
    I do realize that welding it and having it not leak might be a pita but id rather try that then spend 200+ for a fuel cell.

Or would I be better off just looking for a smaller tank out of a car or something and making that work?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Anytime we weld on a gas tank we either fill it with CO2 or some other inert gas, or water in the case of the fuel tanks on the ships...

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

what about a tank from a pickup? its long and narrow

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Junkyard tank , smaller car , may work . Or you can go fuel cell , they make small ones .

Or even a boat fuel tank . My 70 Fish/Ski projsct has a red metal one thats about half the Blazer size .

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

X2, only we use a plastic tank instead of metal. Some of them come with a cap that has a fuel level gauge.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea after thinking about it, im just going to find a smaller tank.
    I would get a fuel cell but I plan to go to propane in the near future so I think it would be a waste of money.
    I have a 17 gallon 72' k5 tank that ill prolly use if I can find the sending unit for it.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'll trade you a 16 gal saddle-bag tank for it :D

I need to carry more fuel and 16 isn't enough

8. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

have you looked into plain square steel ones? They are pretty affordable vs. a fuel cell. Shoot, we are using a air tank for the gas tank on our t-bucket. Tanks a tank, doesn't really matter what you use as long as it doesn't leak (well....except glass :haha: ). Though, baffles and a sending unit are a nice luxury :D

[​IMG]

here's some affordable fuel cells:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/paging.yes/dept_id.58/display_id.446/qx/Product.htm

can't beat the rpice, and risking welding a tank isn't worth it to me when you are just looking for a universal tank. Plus those would mount and fit better as well