Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

making TC 4" HD springs standard

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by k5kev, Mar 23, 2004.

1. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

making TC 4\" HD springs standard

I've got a set of Tuff Country 4" HD springs on my '72 K5, which are about 2 years old. They are still a little stiff for me. If I take out the 4th (bottom) leaf will they be softer, and/or the same as a TC standard 4" spring? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Thanks.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: making TC 4\" HD springs standard

Yes, they will be softer and the same as TC's 4" EZ ride springs.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The bottom leaf is what makes them a HD spring, so you can pull it out. The springs for the early K5's are notoriously stiff, I think because they didn't come with a swaybar so they limit the body roll with spring rate. We've had quite a few customers that have been happy with our custom springs for the early K5's, they're a good bit softer and give a lot better ride.

4. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

Thanks Stephen, I'll try pulling that leaf and if I'm still not happy you may hear from me again regarding you customs.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The bottom leaf is what makes them a HD spring, so you can pull it out. The springs for the early K5's are notoriously stiff, I think because they didn't come with a swaybar so they limit the body roll with spring rate. We've had quite a few customers that have been happy with our custom springs for the early K5's, they're a good bit softer and give a lot better ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will this work on my 89? If I pull that thick little bastard out I'll have the ez-ride? If that's the case, I've got a new Saturday project to try and smooth things out!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Stephen

Yup, Kyle, if you have HD GM springs, pull the leaf and they're EZrides. Beware, they will settle if you have a heavy truck and not enough spring to hold it up. This is similar to the rear overloads for a stock spring.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Define heavy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My truck has got nothing extra on it that would make it weigh anymore than stock on the springs, now what's bolted downwind of the springs get's kinda ugly...

And yep, they are the GM Tuff Country HD springs, they were part of my damn-near-had-a-divorce purchase a few years back /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Stephen

No winch, no big block, no need for HD springs. I ran my small block, big radiator, dual batteries, winch (lighter hydro winch), bumper and hydraulic system on EZ rides and they did settle on me.
    I can sympathize with the "divorce purchase". I just about self destructed during the TTC buildup on my K5. Thus, no new buggy for me now. At least for a little while.